Lost Password..for Logon

Thread: Lost Password..for Logon

Lost Password..for Logon

A customer doesn't know the username and password he created for his new XP machine. I tried admin and guest accounts but was unable to log in under either without a password. Is there anyway to get around this or will I be reloading the OS?

If its a fresh load, a reload is the way to go. Otherwise do a search on this forum for adminstrator password - any utilities you use at your own risk.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

When you say you tried admin, did you try admin under safe mode?..this one doesn't show up in regular mode, and usually doesn't have a password applied unless the user logged on in safe mode and created one.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

I tried the administrator account in safe mode with no password but the end user had configured a password. So now I am at a loss wonder if I can pull the drive stick it in another xp machine and take ownership of the files as administrator on my machine with no password? Any ideas would help greatly thanks guys.....

yep that would work too.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

For someone that wants passwords on all his accounts this end user doesn't seem to have a very good memory
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Well I pulled the drive installed in my system took ownership and got all his stuff back what a pain in the butt. I cant believe that he put a different password on everything and then couldn't remember any of them even the cmos had one on it talk about paranoid lol. Thanks for all the help!

You're welcome.........
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

I know I am a little late on this one...but i have use this utility on several computers now and it has worked like a charm every time.

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

I have used it on PCs running NT4 Workstation and XP Pro.

basically you download the .iso file and burn it. it is a bootable linux based utility that can reset local passwords. It is fairly easy to use, and works great. Has saved me from reloading 3 different computers in the last 6 weeks. It may be too late this time, but every so often someone has a problem like this, and this application is a great solution.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

This is why you use these things at your own risk!
    DANGER WILL ROBINSON!
    If used on users that have EFS encrypted files, and the system is XP or later service packs on win2k, all encrypted files for that user will be UNREADABLE! and cannot be recovered unless you remember the old password again

yes, there are risks. But here, we dont use encrypted files. SO i figured it is either this, or reload windows. so i will try this...if it doesn work, i just have to load windows again.

I should have mentioned the risks involved, but anyone who knows enough to do something like this, should know enough to read the instructions/warnings before just trying an application they dont know about.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

Originally posted by delmer_1

I should have mentioned the risks involved, but anyone who knows enough to do something like this, should know enough to read the instructions/warnings before just trying an application they dont know about.
    Oh, how I wish that were true....

good point...sorry for putting you all at risk.

The Bootable CD is the BEST!!!

I have used it to clear NT/2k/XP admin passwords. It works great! We don't use EFS here - we warn against it for data loss reasons.

I need to get some business card size CD-R's and cut it to them and give them to our support staff as I don't live here - I just work here.

Kenny P.
    Visualize Whirled P.'s