Transplant.

Thread: Transplant.

Question Transplant.

Hey,
    I have plans to upgrade my old AMD K6-2, Windows XP Home Edition to a P4-2.4.
    I'm in the process of picking the new MB, RAM, etc.
    Now, I know that if I just switch the HDD and power up, There's gonna be a mess... Is there any way that I can erase the chipset config. in Windows before making the operation?

Thxs;

This is the m$ recommended way for 2k It will be much the same for XP - the difference being activation issues
    read here to backup activation files. Hope this helps
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thumbs up Good!

Appreciate NooNoo,
    I'll read it and I'll let you know how it went. By the way, any recommendations on where to go online for parts?

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    New Egg or Googlegear both are excellent choices here in the US.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Microsoft's instructions for migrating XP do seem to be a bit hard to find, but the article is reproduced here:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20516358.html

Many other relevant links at the bottom of that page.

Talking All right

Perfect! Thanks.
    Just in case, I am gonna make some files backups. Any software around capable of braking-up files (approx. 4GB) into CD-R or RW?

FYI, I've heard of a number of people running the P4 2.4c at 3Ghz stably on an Asus P4P800. Here's a couple Links.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...-2400c-oc.html
    http://www.bit-tech.net/review/218/5
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Re: All right

Originally posted by IDMA
    Perfect! Thanks.
    Just in case, I am gonna make some files backups. Any software around capable of braking-up files (approx. 4GB) into CD-R or RW?
    well there are two ways, you use nero and put the files on the cd up to the limit, or you can use winrar to zip em up together and then produce cd sized chunks... trial version here
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by Platypus
    Microsoft's instructions for migrating XP do seem to be a bit hard to find .....
    What on this site ? YES ! ... its been answered a few times before ...(or am I being my name?)... but I'm jiggered if I can find it/them !!

Had a quick skim of the post Platypus names ... but I didn't see the method I generally use ... which is to just swap hardware & then do an in place re-install on first boot, sometimes you need to re-activate sometimes you don't ... (the link mentions this as a fix should its approach go wrong !) ... (& don't forget to backup first - but I have a spare drive so its easy )

Unhappy In....what?

Explain that about the in-place re-install, please. How do you do that?
    Another thing: According to Microsoft, they just told me to swap the hardware, boot from Windows CD and instead of choosing "install Windows" to choose "Fix Windows Installation".
    How about that?

Re: In....what?

Originally posted by IDMA
    Explain that about the in-place re-install, please. How do you do that?
    Another thing: According to Microsoft, they just told me to swap the hardware, boot from Windows CD and instead of choosing "install Windows" to choose "Fix Windows Installation".
    How about that?
    Okey dokey .. confus-ed-ness ... I'm qualified for that ...

'In-place reinstall' is just the microsoft talk for re-run setup -i.e. just put either your original windows cd in , or if you made one a 'slipstreamed' copy (That's an original windoze xp cd plus the service packs to stop you having to run all those again or get them from MS update) & let it re-install .... How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP

'fix windows installation' - I think you mean this ...
    You repair Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM, pressing ENTER to set up Windows XP, and then pressing R to repair the selected installation.
    see this kb ... Data Loss May Occur After Reinstalling, Repairing, or Upgrading Windows XP

Re-running setup or doing a repair (Which I don't think does the 'hardware' detect bit ? which we want !) may result in data loss (i.e. some proggies mightn't work correctly & require re-installation) ...

Is that your confus-ed-ness cleared up ?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NooNoo
    [B]This is the m$ recommended way for 2k It will be much the same for XP - the difference being activation issues

WOW!!! I just read this article and man it sounds like it might just be easier to do a full reinstall. I have used the M$ windows sysprep tool to do a system migration with alot of success.
    Growing up I've spent half of my money on Fast cars, fast women and Booze the other half I just wasted!

Talking Almost there...

All right guys, thanks for all the help. The parts are coming so soon we'll see...

Any final comments or tips on how to install the CPU without burning it with an ESD? All are welcome.

IDMA