smoothwall logs

Thread: smoothwall logs

Hybrid View

smoothwall logs

Hey guys & gals. Just got a quick question. Does any1 know how to adjust the logs size in Smoothwall? It seems to be set for only a few days by default & one of our customers will need to look as far back as a month when we set it up. Any ideas?

Welcome Manny (since this is post number 2)

I think the default 'length' of any smoothwall logs is a month (4 weeks) ... any longer or 'bigger' than that required & you have to figure out how to export them to something else to keep a 'longer' picture ....

This quote might help too ...
    Start LogViewer and click on "Save Logs." Make sure that "Append the logs to the existing file" and "Automatically save the logs into the files" are checked. Change the file sizes for the incoming and outgoing files to as large as you can. Uncheck "stop logging when logs exceed the specified filesize."
    I'm only a linux newbie so don't take my word for it

Smile

Pleased 2 meet u confus-ed

Sorry I should have been a lil more descriptive. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the logviewer? The problem is when you looking at your smoothwall box over http and you click on the logs tab, when you select the web proxy, firewall & IDS I seem to only be able 2 c the past 2 days worth of info. Any ideas? I'm a linux newbie, but I no enuff 2 navigate around the shell & I can't seem to find any .conf file for the log file settings or I could be looking in the wrong places entirely hehe.

Errrr ummm maybe different versions ... can you confirm which you are using ... I just click 'logs' from the main screen .... like here ...

I'm using 0.9.9 SE apparently !

I think this might be a case of the blind leading the partially sighted ! This is a windoze site, I'm good with that ... but linux is a blast from the past as I struggle to reawaken my unix memories from the early 90s !! (I'll see if any one else knows let m try a few PMs(private messages) & see if I can drum up some 'more informed' help ) ...

after a little discussion with noonoo in the chat room, she came up with a very good idea, You could write a little batch file that would copy the logs to another location for storage. You could use cron to time it to run, say, at the end of everyday. How to do this would depend on factors of your setup but it shouldn't be too hard.

another solution would be to build you're own linux firewall with a regulare distribution and modify the logs yourself but that's a whole lot more complicated than the simplicity of smoothwall (which I haven't used much in a long time).

I'm sure you can find some help on the web and you could also check smoothwall's mailing lists .
    Today, a haiku:

Google, you f**ktard
    my fingers are so weary
    of repeating crap

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Originally posted by gtiseb
    You could write a little batch file
    I always wrote shell scripts with Linux, but thats me
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Thanks 4 the help ppls, I appreciate it. Sorry confus-ed I 4got 2 mention we're running Smoothwall 1.0, so that might explain the difference.

Admittently its midnight friday night here so I'm not guna get a chance to get 2 a smoothwall box until monday but just b4 I left work I had a browse around the directories and found a folder (/etc/logrotate.d I think it was from memory) that contained 4 scripts that I'm hoping control the logs size. 2 my understanding they by default keep 5 days worth of data and keep uncompressed copies of the previous 2 days.

It turns out that the client that requested this only is interested in the proxy logs. So after stumbling through my very limited knowledge of using vi (it's cool, don't take me wrong, but I haven't used it for ages & combine that with it being a friday afternoon hehe) I edited the script entitled 'squid' within /etc/logrotate.d, changing the number of scripts to 30 and removing the compress command. Hmm... we'll have 2 wait and c if it works. I do like that idea of gtiseb's of writing an export script for the logs since I know their location. I could even try 2 be really tricky I spose & then get samba running and export them to a network share & access them at will from any windows box. But hey that mite be jumping the gun a lil hehe

Just thought I'd let everyone know - that editing of the file in logrotate.d actually works.

Originally posted by manny
    Just thought I'd let everyone know - that editing of the file in logrotate.d actually works.
    You do realise this now makes you head linux geek ... no one else knew