adding another 512 to ASUS P4PE

Thread: adding another 512 to ASUS P4PE

adding another 512 to ASUS P4PE

Really need help with this one. I am running an ASUS P4PE with and P4 2.6 533MHZ bus. It is running WinXP Pro with SP 1 installed. The already installed ram is a single 512MB of Corsair CMX512-2700C2. I went and purchased another 512MB piece to upgrade to a gig. However when I installed the second piece (same ram model type), after the POST, my computer would hang. I then decided to swap out the old 512 MB ram with the new 512 MB ram and the computer booted with no problem. So it's my guess so far that it's not the ram module, but rather the amount of ram. For some reason the MB does not take well to having two 512MB of Corsairs.

Also I have updated the BIOS to the latest non-beta release. Any help (especially those with this motherboard) would be extremely appreciated.

Welcome to Windrivers!

Which ram slots did you use? Did you reset the bios via the jumper after fitting the 2nd strip? Will it go into bios setup with the second strip installed?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks for the reply. I used ram slots 1 and 2 with 3 left blank as indicated by the motherboard manual. Yeah it can go to bios. I got it to finally work by turning off the Ram Turbo mode, whatever that is. I can't tell if the system is slower with Ram Turbo mode off, but as long as it boots to WinXP, I am happy.

Thanks for the help.

It's an automatic overclocking setting. This board is aimed at overclockers and incurable tweakers!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."