in my device manager I have yellow question mark at (usb memory stick slot)

Thread: in my device manager I have yellow question mark at (usb memory stick slot)

in my device manager I have yellow question mark at (usb memory stick slot)

can you tell me how fix it and can you tell me if this can make some program freeze up.

You need to first determine if it is an Intel chipset or Via chipset board, either by going to the device manager and openning System Devices, or looking at the book, then what OS do you have?

Intel has USB2.0 drivers for 98/ME at http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...3&DwnldID=5540

for XP at: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...l&submit=Go%21

(oh- and get the INF drivers at the same time!)

For Via boards go to www.viatech.com and browse for the 4-in-1 drivers for your OS.

This SHOULD do it.

PS. For you ITers out there who tried Intel's 98 USB driver before and it didnt work, they HAVE replaced it with one that works!
    Last edited by goldfishy; July 12th, 2003 at 09:12 AM.

I install usb 2.0 and still have yellow question mark

Your motherboard may have direct support for a USB card reader, which may not have the driver installed, or not installed correctly.

Do you know the manufacturer and model of your system's motherboard, and do you have a driver CD belonging to it?

If the board does have support for an optional Memory Stick Slot (there will be a connector on the board for a riser) but it is not fitted, there may be an option in the BIOS Peripherals settings to disable it, and the Device Manager entry with the bang could then be removed. This could free up some resources, but I doubt if it would be causing programs to freeze as it is now (although anything's possible with Windows...)
    Last edited by Platypus; July 12th, 2003 at 08:05 PM.