PC Card-to-USB adaptor for Hitachgi laptop - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: PC Card-to-USB adaptor for Hitachgi laptop

I was going to post an update on my USB card travails, but I see that confus-ed has posted another one of his nasty, ignorant messages, so I'll have to answer it. (Can't let the evil-minded have the last word, can we?)

Confus-ed wrote:

> If you'd taken the trouble ... you'd have
    > managed to get the usb port to work!

If you'd taken the trouble to read the posts, you'd have seen that the Hitachi USB port can't work, since the operating system no longer recognizes it.

> USB 1.0 would have some severe difficulty being > backwards compatible with anything as it was
    > the first standard

No one said anything about backwards compatibility for the USB 1.0 port. Again, if you'd just read the posts... You do know how to read English, don't you? (Maybe that's a mistaken assumption. Is Confus-ed one of those techies who can read computer code but never learned how to read his spoken language, English?)

> but there I go again just 'attention seeking'

Well, since you don't have anything except nastiness and negativeness to contribute, what other reason could you have for posting? I'm glad you've finally confessed the truth. You'll feel better for it.

Originally posted by mikeys
    I was going to post an update on my USB card travails, but I see that confus-ed has posted another one of his nasty, ignorant messages, so I'll have to answer it. (Can't let the evil-minded have the last word, can we?)

Confus-ed wrote:

> If you'd taken the trouble ... you'd have
    > managed to get the usb port to work!

If you'd taken the trouble to read the posts, you'd have seen that the Hitachi USB port can't work, since the operating system no longer recognizes it.

> USB 1.0 would have some severe difficulty being > backwards compatible with anything as it was
    > the first standard

No one said anything about backwards compatibility for the USB 1.0 port. Again, if you'd just read the posts... You do know how to read English, don't you? (Maybe that's a mistaken assumption. Is Confus-ed one of those techies who can read computer code but never learned how to read his spoken language, English?)

> but there I go again just 'attention seeking'

Well, since you don't have anything except nastiness and negativeness to contribute, what other reason could you have for posting? I'm glad you've finally confessed the truth. You'll feel better for it.
    Is your real name Richard Head ?
    If you'd taken the trouble, Confus-ed, to read the thread, before butting in with your conceited and useless comments, you'd have seen that the laptop in question had a USB 1.0 port originally, which is no longer backwards-compatible with anything, and that furthermore the WIN98SE upgrade no longer recognizes the port.
    But I can't read ! apparently .....

The only reason I haven't closed this post is because I would like to find out IF the usb card works or not!

Boys, please, all other things aside, the point of the thread has yet to be answered.

Mikeys - please post your update
    Confus-ed hush!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I got hold of the Startech adaptor, 3-ports for $38. The driver installed OK, and the operating system recognizes it, which certainly is a step in the right direction.

However, I have only so far tested it with my DSL modem (a Westell modem from Verizon that has a USB port as well as an ethernet port). The modem won't work with the adaptor. Nothing doing.

To test further, I'm looking around for an external USB floppy drive (the Hitachi one no longer works, so this is one thing I hope to gain from having USB capability) and/or an external USB CD-writer, which I deperately need.

However, as I doubt very much that I'll ever get USB 2.0 out of this thing, and Kineda only tested his Fujitsu with USB 1.1 devices, I'm looking for USB 1.1 floppy and CD-writer, not so easy to find these days (my local computer outlets have de-stocked all USB 1.1 devices!).

I'll post a definitive update on the Startec adaptor as soon as I can test it further. If it refuses to work, I'm going to order one of the Universal Buslink ones as a last shot.

Mouse... get a usb mouse, its the easiest thing to test the usb with.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Good idea!

Are USB 1.1 devices still available?

The thing is, I've located an older SIIG USB 1.1 cardbus adaptor (at http://easyway.zoovy.com/product/USBPCCARD), which may work with my slow processor. It's also quite convenient because it uses a dongle instead of a fat jack end, so maybe I can still get my ethernet card in the other card slot.

If anyone here knows where to get USB 1.1 stuff, I'd sure appreciate knowing it.

Thanks.