Netscape :(

Thread: Netscape :(

Netscape :(

Netscape is dead!! AOL Killed them. I knew it would end up this way. AOL Sucked then, they suck now and they will always suck in teh future! They took a perfectly good company and ruined them, AOL style. A sad day.
    W

Talking I thought I was confus-ed ...

...... It ceased to exist in 1999, when AOL bought it. The Netscape "brand'' is still being used by AOL/Time-Warner, but there is no "Netscape'' any more....

The 'remnants' are alive here -
    Netscape

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/31765.html

I havent used Netscape since AOL sunk their coding claws into them. It was never the same. I most use IE now but Mozilla is cool as hell. So is Opera.
    W

Originally posted by Diver01
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/31765.html

I havent used Netscape since AOL sunk their coding claws into them. It was never the same. I most use IE now but Mozilla is cool as hell. So is Opera.
    Ah well the link explains it a tad better than your opening post might have ...? ... lots of redundancies at what remains ...

This quote tickled me though ...
    Alongside Netscape's 1998 fire sale to AOL, the company chose to make the browser code open source, and agreed to fund the Mozilla project under the understanding that the Mozilla project would release killer code with which to whup Microsoft's a$$ ... But it didn't happen. The finger-pointing may carry on for many years
    So really you shouldn't be moaning at AOL as they funded what you describe as 'cool as hell' !!

From CNN.com:
    Is the end near for Netscape?

The move comes less than two months after AOL said it would use Netscape rival Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser technology for seven years as part of the software company's settlement of an anti-trust dispute.
    Also, notice the block for Perspective.
    ...the settlement between Microsoft and AOL essentially means the end of Netscape as a competitor to Internet Explorer, since the two companies are cooperating so broadly.

On August 14, 1997, Netscape became self aware. It began to learn at a geometric rate. Yadda yadda yadda. Point is, AOL is responsible for the Nuclear Holocaust that will kill us all.

Hi there,

I know, AOL killed it, it's all suck up with AOL icons and crap like that. I just want the browser, not sign up to AOL Internet Service, as we all know that AOL sucks as an ISP, expensive and unreliable. I only use Netscape for the Mailing part of it, that's all. Outlook sucks (all those virus problems).

Jules...
    Otaku Anime Network
    http://www.otakuanime.com/

Guardian Of The Sailor Scouts Universe
    http://www.guardiansenshi.net/

The Sailor Scouts Gallery
    http://www.kawaiisenshi.com/

Firebird..

I switched to Firebird, the browser only part of Mozilla. I love it, the customization of the toolbar is great, the popup blocker is funny (Homer says something each time i block a popup), and everything works, except a few video links i think.

Yeah, go with Firebird. I tried mozilla back in 1.0 and 1.1 but didn't like it, but firebird is great

I just started using Firebird yesterday. In fact, I'm using it right now! It's pretty good actually.

Firebird is Quick!

This is the quickest browser I have ever seen on windows. Im gonna try it on my Redhat 9 @ work tomorrow as well.

On thing i really like about it is that you dont have to install it and the download is only 6MB.

I had seen it for download for awhile now but was worried about its maturity.

Im gonna keep a copy of this on my USB pen drive for when IE goes south on a users computer.

Registered User Dark Millennium's Avatar
    bye netscape....

May you live on vicariously through mozilla and firebird
    The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of you coffee.
    (Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel)

If a program is useful, it will have to be changed.
    (Laws of Computer Programming, III)

Thanx to Adept for the Avatar