Sharing a DSL connection....

Thread: Sharing a DSL connection....

Threaded View

Sharing a DSL connection....

hey guys/girls there is a guy i work with, who has a small shop in the local mall. I went to help him a while ago because he has a desktop and a laptop he uses there and wanted to be able to use his dial up connection on both computers at once. Not a problem we networked the computers together and i shared the dial up connection, everything worked fine.

now he just called me and wants me to stop over and help him again.....he recently got a DSL connection and wants to share it. This should be fairly simple, i do this at my apartment right now. My ISP is verizon, and they use pppoe, so i just right click on the connection and share it. however his is different. His connection is provided through alltel, but he said that his internet service is through a local ISP.( the same one he used when on dial up...that way he doesnt have to change the email address for his business) From what he told me, he doesnt have to supply a username or password and that he is connected contantly. So what I am wondering is how do I set up his PC to share the connection so he laptop can connect at the same time. right now he can get online with either one, but only one at a time, since he only has one IP.

To the best of my knowledge, both computers are running windows 2000 pro. It has been a while since i set up a connection like this. The last time it was sharing an always on cable modem between two win98 computers, and i used a program called Sygate home networking. I would like to not have to use it, because I am pretty sure windows ICS can handle it. But I just dont remember how.

EDIT:::

i spoke with my boss, who has also looked at this stystem before and he told me that it is alot more complex than what i previously thought.

according to him the modem has ethernet and USB, and if they are both not connected, it wont work.

and also that the local ISP has some kind of propreitary software you have to run to make the connection. he has been in teh computer field for over 20 years and seems to really know what he is doing, so it sound like i may have just got in way over my head. I am still going to attempt to figure it out...but it sounds like this is going to be about as much fun as licking a cactus.
    Last edited by delmer_1; July 23rd, 2003 at 08:57 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs