Sharing a DSL connection.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sharing a DSL connection....

Internet connection sharing is possible. all you need is to install a two lan cards in your selected proxy server running windows 2000 or xp is much better. just connect your cable modem to one lan card and the other lan card will be connected to your hub or switch. right click the lancard connected on your modem, click properties and then advanced. click network setup wizard and just follow the instruction. it will guide you through the rest of your configuration. note that if the wizard prompt you click the ''this computer directly connected to the internet and other computer connect throug this computer'' something like that...

just same thing on the other computers(client). if the wizard prompt you just click ''this computer connect to the internet through other computer''....

before configuring your internet sharing be sure that all cables are plug and all computera and hub are powered on....

gud luck////

Quote Originally Posted by ecerecio
    Internet connection sharing is possible. all you need is to install a two lan cards in your selected proxy server running windows 2000 or xp is much better. just connect your cable modem to one lan card and the other lan card will be connected to your hub or switch. right click the lancard connected on your modem, click properties and then advanced. click network setup wizard and just follow the instruction. it will guide you through the rest of your configuration. note that if the wizard prompt you click the ''this computer directly connected to the internet and other computer connect throug this computer'' something like that...

just same thing on the other computers(client). if the wizard prompt you just click ''this computer connect to the internet through other computer''....

your will get an ip address 192.168.0.1 up to 254 defend on the ip address assigned by your proxy server.
    if you got these ip address you almost finish, if you still have problem, configure your lan card into differnt mode ie. 10mbps half duflex on the client compuers and 10mbps full duplex in your proxy server.

before configuring your internet sharing be sure that all cables are plug and all computera and hub are powered on....

gud luck////

Hmmm... 6 months old....
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom
    Hmmm... 6 months old....
    Better late than never?

i woul have sugested go to the store and get a router. they have a 4 port one at walmart for 60 bucks and it is even 902.11b. that would solve all problems and is a easy upgrade to do.

This is one of those jobs I would have walked away from.
    First of all, the guy is a cheapskate.
    Second, he already knew it all, so wouldn't have needed me.

Sometimes, I have found that I need to dance a fine line between "The customer is always right", and the customer is screwing both of us.

I would have encouraged this Einstein, once he refused to get a router, to find "that guy who knows all about computers" to help him.

My experience is that "that guy who knows all about computers" is the most valuable asset my business has. After he gets done with it, they *really* need a real technician.

http://www.thecomputermechanic.com

Check out the cartoon at the bottom of my page.

wow...i almost forgot i even made this thread.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

Cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by delmer_1
    Well, I went over last night and thanks to the help of you guys, it is working fine now. The solution posted by mrwilhelm was exactly what i needed.

After setting the MTU value to a lower number, the laptop connected just fine.

I also removed the USB cable from the modem to the PC as it is not needed.

I was a bit disapointed with the PPPoE connection though. I mentioned before that he had some proprietary software he used to connect..itis called Tango Manager. this would load at startup, and then initiate the pppoe connection. But there was no way to share this connection.

so i went to network and dial up connections, found the pppoe connection and shared it there.

the only problem is that it is dependant on this tango manager software, probably since win2k doesnt support pppoe natively. so i coudlnt remove this software, becasue when i close it, the pppoe connection will not connect.

So, right now this tango manager loads at startup, and so does the pppoe connection. but i had to set it to redail every 10 seconds or so because sometimes it tries to connect before the tango manager loads, so this way, if that happens, it will try to dial again after it loads.

thanks for all your help... he is happy with it.

You should have told that cheap SOB where he could put his shared internet connection. Especially since it seems that you are doing this for free... why waste all that time on a solution when a cheap piece of hardware would have done the trick in seconds?

I would have charged him $250 for all of that mess.... AND THAT IS PER VISIT... you must have come back and forth over 3 times....
    Don't ask me... I just work here.