drives disappeared!

Thread: drives disappeared!

drives disappeared!

I have 2 drives:
    • Samsung DVD-ROM
    • TEAC CD-RW

I have just finsihed burning a CD and can't eject my TEAC (but I can eject my Samsung)! Also both drives have disappeared from My Computer and no CD burning program can find them!
    The bizarre thing is this happened under similar circumstances last New Year's Eve.
    The next day they were back to normal!

I'm not entirely sure why this happens and obviously I have no guarantee they will fix themselves again so I'd be grateful if anybody could offer a solution or an explanation...
    As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.

============
    Bluff

Go into device manager, do they appear there with a ! ?

If so do you have 2k or xp? The fix is here Note the XP version is linked under 314060.

If it's not 2k or XP

Please tell us your windows version and what burning software and what device manager shows.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Sorry... I should have put those

They are not listed in Device Manager, I am running Windows XP (Home) and neither Nero or CloneCD will recognise them (both scan the scsi/ide bus and do not find them there). A suggestion I had last time was that they had died, but i doubt this is the case as they began working next day!
    As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.

============
    Bluff

OK, reboot, go into bios and set the ALL the ide devices to auto. Save and restart. Now watch the boot screen carefully (because it is going to be quick) Do all the drives get detected?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."