dvd regional code locked

Thread: dvd regional code locked

Question dvd regional code locked

Hi out there,
    I have Win 4 dvd software on my new PC. After playing a couple of DVDs that were not from my region (ie, Australia), and paying no great attention to the notices that popped up (other than to click OK!!) our DVD player has become locked in a region other than ours, denying us the ability to play DVDs from our region.
    The help devices tell me that it is locked and will remained locked forever. Is there a way to unlock the regional code and reset it to the appropriate region?
    We'd love some help on this one.
    Thanks.

Well welcome to WD ...

Next time you'll know not to buy a region encoded DVD won't you ? ... I think region locking stinks !!

You can either flash the unit's firmware to make it region free (but we'll need the exact model to say if that's possible) or try something like 'DVD region KIller' ... Try here

dvd region lock

Hi,
    Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I checked out the site you recommended and it sounded OK. Are you aware of any potential pitfals here? I'm very much in the novice camp with this sort of thing.
    Alll the best.

There are always pitfalls... incorrect use of any of these utilities can result in a useless drive... but right now, you have a nearly useless drive, so not really much difference

Read the instructions carefully, print them out and follow one by one if necessary.

here are various tools at my favourite dvd help site
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi there,

Sometimes, I just want to laugh, but I won't. Anyways, bascially, you're litterly stuck where you snap your regional setting that you locked on. All new DVD-ROM drive are regional-free, until you installed it and run it, it will prompt you to select a regional code. You only have 4 chances or so to change the regional setting, the last choice will be the final one. As others mention, the only way to unlock it is doing it illegally, hacking the firmware via software. I usually don't recommended, but it's at your own risk.

A lesson, read the manual and the warning next time...

Jules...
    Otaku Anime Network
    http://www.otakuanime.com/

Guardian Of The Sailor Scouts Universe
    http://www.guardiansenshi.net/

The Sailor Scouts Gallery
    http://www.kawaiisenshi.com/

Talking Illegal ... now is that a 'sick' bird or wot ?

Originally posted by inferno_gn
    .... As others mention, the only way to unlock it is doing it illegally, hacking the firmware via software. I usually don't recommended, but it's at your own risk....
    Can I just clear this bit up .... there's nothing illegal in flashing firmware !! ... perhaps 'in-advisable' but not illegal .... potentially the original firmware 'hacker' might have committed an offence by modifying & distributing potentially copyrighted material, but I can't think how a user might infringe on this since 'flashware' isn't generally copyrighted anyway..many DVDs & CDs have 'generic' flashware that might work in say an lge drive or a lite on or a sony or a philips or whatever!.. there's an equally valid point that the original vendor by region locking is in fact acting illegally in many countries by 'restricting' fair competition between markets ....

I did this myself a few years back with a Toshiba drive. Locked my drive to the wrong country. I first emailed Toshiba who said I would have to send the drive back pay shipping both ways and for labor. I searched around google and found a site that had the original firmware for my drive. Flashed the drive with the original firmware it works great. Still have my 4 DVD region changes left which I’ll never screw around with again.