Laptop Screens plz help

Thread: Laptop Screens plz help

Laptop Screens plz help

Hey guys, This may be a bit of a n00b question and for that im sorry. But I recently pulled a 12.1 inch TFT screen out of my old IBM 560 Thinkpad. The screen still works fine and has no issues what so ever. My question really is, will this screen plug in to a Compaq Armada v300 Laptop and work?? Is there a standard that all companies have to follow for the LCD Screens, do they all have the same connection? Any help here would be great and save me a great deal of money. Thanks alot lads

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    No.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Originally posted by Outcoded
    No.
    simple, to the point and absolutly correct.

The screen may have worked fine in the ibm, but the connectors used in the ibm vary from the connectors used in the compaq. heck, even different model compaq notebook screens will not work in your particular one for the same reason.

unfortunatly compaq sucks for getting service parts. they follow a modular design in which you need to replace whole assyemblies and not just comopnents.

as an example; I just had a armada 500 that needed a new fl inverter. I could get a fl inverter from toshiba for around $50 for any of their notebooks, but the only way I could get one from compaq was to order the display module for $1400.
    Moral of the story; unless you have more money than brains, stay away from compaq

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    So, DA, any idea how Compaq has changed now that HP has got hold of em. Of course all the new Compaq laptops look just like the HP laptops. Have you worked on HP laptops, and if so, how much luck have you had with em?
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

all consumer hp lappiesw go back to hp to get fixed. all business models get fixed in the field. Havn't had any business models yet so I don't know what the parts distrobution is like yet. But I would field a guess that they are going to adopt compaq's ripoff.. er, I mean business model.

Well, just checked it out. looked up parts available for a NX9010 notebook. it looks like I was right. you can order a 14.1 inch display for it for $2133, a 60gb hdd for over $1000, a system board for $1300. You get the point. Way too expensive. the prices I looked up were in canadian dollars. on hp canada's site the notebook start @ $1400. by selecting all the best upgrades for the notebook though I got a total of over $6000 for the notebook.

Originally posted by Damned Angel
    Well, just checked it out. looked up parts available for a NX9010 notebook. it looks like I was right. you can order a 14.1 inch display for it for $2133, a 60gb hdd for over $1000, a system board for $1300. You get the point. Way too expensive. the prices I looked up were in canadian dollars. on hp canada's site the notebook start @ $1400. by selecting all the best upgrades for the notebook though I got a total of over $6000 for the notebook.
    Ouch.. thats insane, better off just buying a new laptop, ofcourse, not an HP laptop
    This people are making way too much money on laptops, I say we should start making our own stard laptop components, so we can build them just like computers, where everything is standard.
    Assumption is the mother of all fucl< ups

you want to buy the parts individually, then shop toshiba. The only parts you can't get sepratly are some of the small control boards(sound, led boards, hdd interface, on some models a power button board) they usually ship as a package (some older models only ship with a new motherboard). I can get hinges, screws, motherboards, motherboard mounts, cap set for mouse nubs, lcd panels, cables, covers, pretty much everything individaully. And they don't cost an arm and a leg or have to be sent to toshiba to be fixed (regardless of weather or not its a consumer or business model). The only time I have to send a toshiba to their repair depot is if it was not purchased in this country.

The one thing I do not like about toshiba is the shipping. With hp, if its under warranty they ship it next day free with pre-paid shipping labels to send the defective back. If its not under warranty, its costs you $35 to get it next day, or 5-7 business days for free. Again, they send pre-paid shipping labels to send defective stuff back with.
    With Toshiba, if its under warranty, they ship it next day free, but you have to pay the shipping to send the defective product back. If its off warranty, you pay shipping both ways.

Agreed on the Toshiba quote.

I have currently a Toshiba Satellite that my retarded sister shattered the LCD display. Toshiba wants $600 for it but I can find it for $295 on the net.

In either case, $295 is not bad at all for a replacement LCD (13.3") for Any laptop.
    If its not broke, then upgrade anyways!

Who ever said computers were logical?

Originally posted by Damned Angel
    ....With Toshiba, if its under warranty, they ship it next day free, but you have to pay the shipping to send the defective product back. If its off warranty, you pay shipping both ways.
    Errr umm, why ?, if its under warranty I can understand them wanting the bits back, otherwise you could eventually build a machine for free by saying every bit was broken ! ... but why the hell do they want it sent back if its out of warranty & you are paying for a replacement ??????

Going back to the original question & not this 'rant' about service parts ...

" ...will this screen plug in to a Compaq Armada v300 Laptop and work ? ..."

The original answer was 'No' ... but that should really have been 'not much chance !' ... surley ? ... it might, I know very well it might not, but will any harm come to either end ?

It strikes me we have a 'very broken' laptop (where the screen 'lived') & another 'less broken' laptop (where the screen will/could/might 'live') so what's to be lost by trying ? I've done this successfully before by matching the pinouts on the adapter to match ... not for the faint hearted !! but if all we have is 'junk' ... who knows ?!?!