norton

Thread: norton

Smile norton

Running win98 peer home network. Getting
    error messages after bootup on the desktop. Missing executables, programs that can not find files--other symptons include, halting of active processes, network login freezes computer. When i use internet explorer, it automatically starts
    a ambiguous download. No drive A. Freezes at My Computer.
    Microsoft office shortcut bar freezes computer. Intermitten reboots.
    What I did.--With newest definitions ran virus scans in safe mode and found no viruses. Ran Norton from their site and no
    viruses. Ran TrendMicro from their site after deinstalling norton and it found w32.kwbot but it didnot remove it. Reinstalled Norton and followed their removal instructions for registry entries and found no entries. Tried to create rescue disks several times with norton and scan from dos. Norton Rescue disk would not create properly or read improperly in dos mode. Dos boot rescue could not read definition disk and ask for them in non sequential order. I decided to remove
    norton on a hunch. Computer started acting normal. Few boots later Nddetect showed up on a computer i am running a mirror on. i Removed those files. Computers have been actiong normally
    Called Norton and they wanted my bank card number. Anybody out there. thanks steve

You didn't say which Norton version

here is the uninstall for 2001

here is the symclean

Often if Norton is corrupted and/or disabled by a virus, you have to rip it out bit by bit and then reinstall when you have a stable os...

Exactly what question did you want to ask Norton?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

What exactly is it you want to do at this point?

The system seems to have been so corrupted I'd opt for the safest - and probably the fastest - fix: Reload Windows from scratch.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

norton flu

thanks for those links. I printed them up. i will see if i can
    get more info on that virus.

As usual NooNoo has the right idea..if the computer is still infected, then it will be protected from an online scan as well as from a reinstall of Norton. Try downloading f-prot for dos it's free
    and burn it onto a cd..use a windows startup disk, choose start with cd-rom support..and go to the letter of your cd-rom drive and type in for example D:\f-prot.exe

make sure you download the latest updates first

many times cleaning from dos is the only way to do this. After the computer boots, the virus is already active and protecting itself

here is more info
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Lightbulb

Sounds like the best option is to format the hard drive and start over.

Originally posted by techmonkey13
    Sounds like the best option is to format the hard drive and start over.
    And keep Norton's off the machine!

norton ghost

Answering the one question: "I was running 2002 norton utilities-ver 5.03 on 98 "--the other question "what did i want to ask norton" why could they not clean the "w32kwbot virus while at the same time micro detected it.
    since my last reply i clean installed one machine and have been working on the remaining networked machine.
    First i ran symclean with no left over norton detected. Then i ran f-prot from dos with no detected virus. Then i went back to norton's "how to" on a manual deinstall and followed their procedures. The best i did there was removing what i believe to be empty folders. I learned about Norton being everywhere. I can say that something is writing to the registry
    and causing fatal exceptions on a cold boot. Once i restart again which is prompted by windows, my problem appears to solved--but it never goes away, yet. Thanks for everybody's help
    steve

followup reply

huh, after scanning other post, i would like to retract my guess for the day regarding the registry and consider the
    possibility that the registry file (compressed) is not writing correctly to memory on a cold boot and that i might have a bad memory module (primary). this is getting off the original topic but a possibility?????????,,,thanks steve

Ram is always possible. I upgraded a board to a p3 500 yesterday - then a p3 450 and dammit it was bsoding and freezing all over. Back to first principles, 1 stick of 64 mb pc100 ram (was a win98 machine) and ran it... it was fine. Although this board says it will handle 256mb x3 sticks, it appears it doesn't like it very much. Its now very stable using 3 x 64mb single sided sticks and since its technically a junker (hubby's machine ) that's good enough and I have a found a use for smaller sticks of ram!

If you go to www.simmtester.com and download docmem, run it with a blank floppy in, it will create a boot disk which will run the mem checker automatically. You should test your ram individually and in combinations. Note that incorrectly set ram timings will cause a stick to fail testing (and annoy the hell out any os). Let us know how you go.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

simmtest

Ran simmtester and the ram tested fine. Check my bios setting
    against the abit SR7-8X documentation and the setting match there reccomendations The system has been quiet lately which lends me to believe i have been spoofed (for lack of anything else to add to this thread). By the way simmtester take a long time on the thorough burn test, like 22 hours at 256mb. My next choice is to swap out "known good ram" to eliminate the posssibility quickly but it is a burn in so i appreciate the add functionability. thanks for everyones help
    steve