Bellsouth DSL and Freesco router setup

Thread: Bellsouth DSL and Freesco router setup

Bellsouth DSL and Freesco router setup

Okay here is my problem I have dumped Charter cable modem for Bellsouth DSl (Cheaper and better speeds) Here is my setup.

Willtell WireSpeed model #A90-200010-04 DSL modem ====>eth0 on freesco router eth1 ====>hub===> rest of my computers.

Here is the problem, The modem is really more than a modem, more like a mini router. It gets the external IP address then it gives an internal IP address to the ethernet connection that goes into my freesco box an internal ip address 192.168.1.x. So when I would boot my freesco box and it would look for an IP on Eth0 it would get a 192.168.1.x ip address. (which I don't want) So I went into the web-based GUI in the modem (192.168.1.254) and found a setting where you can turn off DHCP and you can forward the External IP address to the ethernet port on the modem instead of it having an Internal IP address.

I booted up my Freesco box and it found the External Ip address fine and booted up fine. But I can't connect to the internet using any of my computers on my internal network. Also I can't connect to the freesco box or modem, but since I have my Freesco with DHCP It gives out an Internal IP address to my computers.

Does anyone know how to setup this for it to work?

Thanks for any help.

Also wanted to add that the modem itself takes care of PPOE functions, So the router doesn't have to be setup for PPOE
    Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then its just fun in the dark.

3 out of 2 people can't count.

Hey Knoxville neighbor.

I also have a Westell router/modem with Bellsouth.

If you are not going to use the routing features of the Westell then you must set it up to Bridged Ethernet mode.

Then use the other router to do NAT and DHCP.

This link give info about the Westell and a Linksys router but should be similar with your other router:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6324
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmm33
    Hey Knoxville neighbor.

I also have a Westell router/modem with Bellsouth.

If you are not going to use the routing features of the Westell then you must set it up to Bridged Ethernet mode.

Then use the other router to do NAT and DHCP.

This link give info about the Westell and a Linksys router but should be similar with your other router:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6324
    Are you using a Freesco router? When I set it to bridge and have my router do PPOE then it constantly tries to renew the IP address do it goes up and down.
    Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then its just fun in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Packrat
    Are you using a Freesco router? When I set it to bridge and have my router do PPOE then it constantly tries to renew the IP address do it goes up and down.
    no I think he was saying in the modem/router to setup that option. The freesco box should be set to ethernet. But to better help I would go post on the freesco forums. The guys over there are very knowledgable about EVERYTHING freesco
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Quote Originally Posted by Gollo
    no I think he was saying in the modem/router to setup that option. The freesco box should be set to ethernet. But to better help I would go post on the freesco forums. The guys over there are very knowledgable about EVERYTHING freesco

Did that, but nothing has come up with it yet. Figured I would try to double my chances.

Oh and if I set it to ethernet with IP pass thru I cant use IIS, Pcanywhere, and my ftp becomes really fickle. Trying to figure out how to use PPOE on freesco and my westell as a bridge without it dropping the line every 20 minutes.