Wireless - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wireless

also note, that I ahd some problems copy and pasting from the web browser to my terminal so I suggest typing it all in by hand will make less head achs

Registered User BlueShadowDemon's Avatar
    Alright guys, I got it working thanks to Daemon!

here are the lamens steps

1)login as root
    2)open up the the terminal looks like the dos window
    3)cd into your directory and then use cp command to copy the wlan blah blah.tgz file to the /
    4)once you get copy it cd into that directory and the tar -xvzf filename.tar.gz
    5)now cd (again) in that directory
    6)Once you get in there type this "make config" without quotes.. duh!
    7)If you are using USB when the question that ask yes or no come up type N to the first 3 questionswe almost there guys hang on
    8) now after that type "make all"
    9) "make install"

and then reboot (I did since my USB had to be disonnected for me to load mandrake) and tada you should have you USB running now load up Mozilla! Should work any ?s I will be happy to help or Daemon can surely point you in the right direction
    AMD athlon XP 1700, 320 MB Ram, 40 gig hd, ATI Radeon 9700 w/128mb RAM ... awaiting upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by BlueShadowDemon
    Alright guys, I got it working thanks to Daemon!

here are the lamens steps

1)login as root
    2)open up the the terminal looks like the dos window
    3)cd into your directory and then use cp command to copy the wlan blah blah.tgz file to the /
    4)once you get copy it cd into that directory and the tar -xvzf filename.tar.gz
    5)now cd (again) in that directory
    6)Once you get in there type this "make config" without quotes.. duh!
    7)If you are using USB when the question that ask yes or no come up type N to the first 3 questionswe almost there guys hang on
    8) now after that type "make all"
    9) "make install"

and then reboot (I did since my USB had to be disonnected for me to load mandrake) and tada you should have you USB running now load up Mozilla! Should work any ?s I will be happy to help or Daemon can surely point you in the right direction
    good steps, this is for Mandrake 9

thought id post in here to keep this thread alive

Quote Originally Posted by +Daemon+
    thought id post in here to keep this thread alive
    Daemon, if you want something stuck, let me know, is no problem
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Daemon, if you want something stuck, let me know, is no problem
    Stick it to 'em noo!!!

(Oh c'mon that was to funny!)
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Quote Originally Posted by Gollo
    Stick it to 'em noo!!!

(Oh c'mon that was to funny!)
    AHHAHAH

oh ok

hey Noo, can ya make this sticky, thanx

AHHAHAH

oh ok

hey Noo, can ya make this sticky, thanx
    Ok done... now where can I wipe off this glue?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Unhappy No luck

I haven't managed to get my wireless Linksys WUSB12 to work with Linux Mandrake =(
    I was previously trying to get it to work in 9.0, but then wiped that and installed 8.2 (I have it running on a POS computer atm) which didn't give any better results.

I always get the same error (unknown device, I believe?)...
    I've tried following different sets of instructions, and none of them seem to work.

Oh, and if it's relevant, this computer uses a PCI card to obtain USB ports. The USB mouse, however, works perfectly, so I doubt it's an issue with the PCI card. usbview simply calls the WUSB an "unknown device".
    Oh, and the WUSB works perfectly in Windows on another computer so it's not the WUSB itself either.

Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Keilaron
    I haven't managed to get my wireless Linksys WUSB12 to work with Linux Mandrake =(
    I was previously trying to get it to work in 9.0, but then wiped that and installed 8.2 (I have it running on a POS computer atm) which didn't give any better results.

I always get the same error (unknown device, I believe?)...
    I've tried following different sets of instructions, and none of them seem to work.

Oh, and if it's relevant, this computer uses a PCI card to obtain USB ports. The USB mouse, however, works perfectly, so I doubt it's an issue with the PCI card. usbview simply calls the WUSB an "unknown device".
    Oh, and the WUSB works perfectly in Windows on another computer so it's not the WUSB itself either.

Any advice?
    Hmmmm first I would suggest you start a new thread as you will get more attention. Second do this: unplug the device then plug it back in and then go to a command prompt and type in "dmesg" and post what it says. Also at the command prompt type "lsmod" and post what it says. I suspect that there is no module (driver) loading for said device and you might have to install it. Post back. Welcome to WD by the way.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

Hmmmm first I would suggest you start a new thread as you will get more attention. Second do this: unplug the device then plug it back in and then go to a command prompt and type in "dmesg" and post what it says. Also at the command prompt type "lsmod" and post what it says. I suspect that there is no module (driver) loading for said device and you might have to install it. Post back. Welcome to WD by the way.
    on the ball http://forums.windrivers.com/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Keilaron:

Is your usb ports working correctly?

on the ball http://forums.windrivers.com/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Keilaron:

Is your usb ports working correctly?
    I'm assuming so since he said his usb mouse works fine. I think it's just a driver issue (did they even have the wusb when they released mandrake 8.2?)

I'm assuming so since he said his usb mouse works fine. I think it's just a driver issue (did they even have the wusb when they released mandrake 8.2?)
    could have, but it was usally not included with the distro..
    I say download the latest verison and install it.

Does USB work? Yes.
    Does the distro version matter? No. I had the exact same problem under a more recent version (9.0 I believe). I downgraded because I was using a P.O.S. computer (ancient CPU, ancient video card) to test with, and the speed difference between distros was quite visible.

Dmesg, full text.
    lsmod, full text. (File went missing, but prism2_usb and the other mod were shown in the list...)
    F12, two lines of relevant text.

I suspect that there is no module (driver) loading for said device and you might have to install it. Post back. Welcome to WD by the way.
    Thank you.
    And by the way, it seems you're right, although I don't understand why... But then, I'm a Linux n00b, so, I guess that's not surprising...
    Last edited by Keilaron; April 6th, 2004 at 06:47 PM.

OK I am going to lock this thread so that people have to start a new one to ask about stuff in here otherwise its going to get chaotic. Daemon, if you need things adding to this thread, let me know and I will edit it accordingly.

Keilaron's question continues here
    Last edited by NooNoo; April 7th, 2004 at 10:51 AM.