Auto shut down? Hacker?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Auto shut down? Hacker?

Auto shut down? Hacker?

In the past few days this happened twice, I get a message that says something like (sorry i couldnt get a screen shot):

"The system has encountered an error and must be shut down. You have 60 seconds to close your programs and save your work.

Invoked by NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM"

What the hell is this? its really annoying especially when I'm in the middle of doing something. Is it a hacker?

I think theres also always a program that crashes before I get this and it asks if I want to send the error report.

Thanks

A quick google provided this link. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

I used to do that same thing to my coworkers over a LAN using a Windows Resource Kit utility.

Can't remember the name of the util right now, but since I had admin status, I could launch a shutdown process to any PC on the network.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Originally posted by a d e p t
    I used to do that same thing to my coworkers over a LAN using a Windows Resource Kit utility.

Can't remember the name of the util right now, but since I had admin status, I could launch a shutdown process to any PC on the network.
    shutdown.exe

Originally posted by Ya_know
    shutdown.exe
    I need more coffee...
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

It's now doing it 30seconds after my pvc bootsd i cant keep it on sorry for mistakes i ncant corretc them how can i fix it gfast? i did pout the pacth

thanks

If I were in your shoes I'd take a good look around the office to see who's snickering. Then deny them all rights to your machine with the local group policy object.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Originally posted by silencio
    If I were in your shoes I'd take a good look around the office to see who's snickering. Then deny them all rights to your machine with the local group policy object.
    I'm having this problem at home, and I found that enabling the Windows XP firewall seems to stop it but I think this blocks the internet to my dad's PC on the network. Is there a way to set what ports the XP firewall blocks?

Thanks

Originally posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    I'm having this problem at home, and I found that enabling the Windows XP firewall seems to stop it but I think this blocks the internet to my dad's PC on the network. Is there a way to set what ports the XP firewall blocks?

Thanks
    On the Advanced tab of your Network Settings is another button called Settings. If you click that you can change which ports are open/closed.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

You have msblast Congratulations you were the first to post about it, before the virus people got their act together.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

OK, here's the $64,000 question...

How does one download this MS update, if once they get online the system shuts down?
    Sex is like pizza. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.

Thats the kicker aint it?

A friend or colleague that did the patch when it came out will be able to do it for you and burn to a cd.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by Chosen One
    OK, here's the $64,000 question...

How does one download this MS update, if once they get online the system shuts down?
    If you are not infected, then turn on your firewall to block the ports then go get the update. If your infected, you need to treat this like any other virus.

One of the chat operators has created a page with most of the links.

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/msblast.html

We've made it a topic we where getting so many people comming in with this issue
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

But doesn't the MS updates automatically install? This being the case, it can't be downloaded and burned to CD.
    Sex is like pizza. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.

Originally posted by Chosen One
    But doesn't the MS updates automatically install? This being the case, it can't be downloaded and burned to CD.
    in the link above, is this linked page...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823980

you can get a network download of the patch for your OS from there.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans