quick easy outlook question...

Thread: quick easy outlook question...

quick easy outlook question...

Hey guys/girls I am getting ready to do a format/clean install. I backed up my data, but I want to make sure i get all of my email info.

I just started using Outlook XP, I have used outlook express for years, but I found out that there is an add in for outlook XP that will allow me to connect to our Domino server here at work, so I dont have to use Lotus Notes. Now i know with notes, all email is stored on the server. After i configured outlook to connect to the domino server, i imported my current emails/folders, and address book. It took quite a long time and i dont want to have to do it again if i dont have to. If I understand correctly, i should just be able to copy the pst files and everything should be OK. I just want to make sure i dont miss anything. so what all files do i need. to get my mails/folders and address book?

i went to C:\documents and settings\my username\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\

and found:
    outlook.pst
    outlook.nst - 262mb
    personal folders(1).pst
    extend.dat
    msocoab.nsf -182mb

so I am assuming that i need all of those..but where is my address book stored?

running winXP pro, with outlook XP
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

Do a search for *.pab

But the best way is to export your address book as a csv file. For some reason trying to pull in a pab is not straight forward (well it wasn't in 97 so now I just export it and have done with it)
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

thanks NooNoo, you're the best!!!
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

This is something that I do quite frequently. As far as our system goes, outlook.pst holds everything, email, address book, calendar, etc. But I always copy the entire Outlook folder. When I reinstall Outlook, I copy the folder to is proper location, and Outlook sees it right off the bat. Sometimes I do like NoNoo said and export the addresses to a csv file and re-import. One of my users once had their addresses pointing to a different file that the outlook default and when I wiped the pc, I said bye bye to the addresses. Lesson learned.

thanks...everything is working just fine with it now..but i have another questoin.

In oulook express, when i receive an email with an image attached, i can view the image in the preview pane. but it doesn't work with Outlook XP. IS there soem setting I have to change to enable this, or do you think it is due to the fact that i am using Outlook as a client to our Lotus Domino server, and it is a limitation of Lotus?

You forcing text only or html on incoming mail?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

HTML.....but after reading the documentation that comes with the Outlook Connector for domino, it says for better performance, attachments are not automatically downloaded, you have to either open them or save them. WHich would explain why the pics dont show up.

Aaaah nothing like a little rtfming...

yeah...i really hate to rtfm..but sometimes you just have to. I actually didn't realize there was a fm until i stumbled across it by mistake. But thanks for all of your help.