can linux madrake 9.1 see ntfs

Thread: can linux madrake 9.1 see ntfs

can linux madrake 9.1 see ntfs

I dual boot winxp and linux (mandrake 9.1). The Xp partition is fat32 and I was wanting to convert it to NTFS. If I do so, will Linux be able to see the NTFS partition. I don't want to do it if it will hide the NTFS partition.
    Thanks

no, it cant. ntfs is a windows file system, and only windows can read it.
    "they're funny things, accidents. you never have them untill you're having them" - Winnie The Pooh

Originally posted by Six Eyed Smily
    no, it cant. ntfs is a windows file system, and only windows can read it.
    Sorry six you need to do a bit more research....

how to make redhat 6 read ntfs. (mind the popups)
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

And since Mandrake uses the Red Hat kernel, that should do the trick.

Thanks for the tip, Noo.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

even easier than that. Mandrake should automatically mount your ntfs partitions if you have it dual booted with windows.

Just look under /mnt directory. you should have your floppy and cdrom entries there and either /NTFS or /WIN

Mind you, i think you may not be able to WRITE TO the partition you certainly can READ FROM it.
    Today, a haiku:

Google, you f**ktard
    my fingers are so weary
    of repeating crap

Thumbs up

Thanks for your help.
    According to what I've read is that Mandrake 9.1 will read it right out of the box and I don't have to install drivers or anything. I'll give it a shot. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't reading it wrong. It's not much of a problem to go from Fat32 to NTFS, but a big problem trying to go from NTFS back to Fat32.
    Thanks again

sweet, i was also under the impression that Linux couldn't access NTFS partitions. Now i can at least access my NTFS drive if i dual boot my other hdd

It can read it but writing to NTFS is "EXPERIMENTAL" and by default turned off. Trying to turn on writing is quite a chore.

Being able to write to NTFS would be a great advantage as you can download MS patches for some new worm without having the worm infect your PC while you are trying to download the patch. Plus its great for clearing out those annoying Temporary Internet Files and cookies that never want to clear via Windows.

Vip2 is correct... i tried this with Suse 8.1 pro... reading from ntfs is no problem but when trying to write to it.. you can never be sure if your data was written properly hense the totally **EXPERIMENTAL** phrase in there... just thought i would add my 2 cents...

Originally posted by Vip2
    It can read it but writing to NTFS is "EXPERIMENTAL" and by default turned off. Trying to turn on writing is quite a chore.

Being able to write to NTFS would be a great advantage as you can download MS patches for some new worm without having the worm infect your PC while you are trying to download the patch. Plus its great for clearing out those annoying Temporary Internet Files and cookies that never want to clear via Windows.
    I would just suggest creating a small FAT32 partition for transfer between the two OSs

other issues you might run into with reading NTFS partitions are rights/ownership, hidden files, and encryption
    May the Schwartz be with you
    Too many zeros, not enough ones.

I have not read this whole thread so if this has been answered oh-well

Linux is Linux, you can re-compile your kernel to support read and write to a ntfs partition..but not good to have write enabled..it can screw things up.

With that said. Mandrake by default cannot read nor mount it. But yes you can make linux mount and read ntfs partition, actually linux can read any partition as long as you tell the kernel to or get third party apps...

now if you dont want to compile the kernel you can get a module that will work

like for redhat
    http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/redhat.html

im sure there are others.... hehe no time to search, I ahd that bookmarked..

oh heres there main page.. full ntfs tools have fun

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

Re: NTFS and Linux

Oh contrare, contrare. First of all, the Mandrake kernel is NOT a RedHat kernel, it is specific to MDK. The RPM at the end of the package (kernel-2.4.21-0.13mdk.rpm) only denotes the type of package management system it uses. And no, you don't need to "add" any modules to the MDK kernel for it to see NTFS partitions. This is already compiled as a module by default during the install and loaded by default IF MDK sees a NTFS partition. As far as writing to the NTFS partition, you are correct. This is still under development but, the new 2.6.0-0test2/3/4kernels do have write-to-NTFS capability with little or no side effects. The permission problems you may be concerned about are easier handled in linux than M$. You can set permissions in the /etc/fstab by setting the "gid=group id #" and the "uid=user id #" example: "gid=501,uid=501" which will only allow user "501" and group "501" have read/write permissions. You can also get tighter by using the chmod, chown, and chgrp commands as root to set accessibility or deny access.

Sorry six you need to do a bit more research....
    ok i hadnt seen this one.

untill recently linux had no support for ntfs, and although there were serveral boot loaders that attmepted to fix the problem, none was easy to use or stable enough for me to reccomend from my expereince.

i haven tried the latest eds of linux, and hadnt realised that this had changed. apologies.

"they're funny things, accidents. you never have them untill you're having them" - Winnie The Pooh

Smile

Converted to ntfs and Mandrake 9.1 could read the partition the had my widows xp in it. So then went and converted a separate disk drive to NTFS that had my music and backup files etc on it. Mandrake couldn't read it. I could read the disk but couldnt read any of the directories. So my music and files were accessable in Linux.
    Later for other reasons decided to reaload Mandrake. Reloaded Mandrake and it can read all the partions and disks in NTFS.
    Go figure... Guess it just needed a jump start.
    It's a strange world out there............