Windows XP Sharing.. I must be doing something stupid..

Thread: Windows XP Sharing.. I must be doing something stupid..

Windows XP Sharing.. I must be doing something stupid..

I swear, my brain is just turning to shizen lately. No idea why this is happening, and I feel ever-so-thick for not fixing this one myself.

I've got this Windoze XP machine. I can ping it, and connect to it through VNC / PC Anywhere, etc..etc.. there aren't any conectivity issues that would cause packets to get lost, but for some damn reason, I just cannot see shares on it.

The guest account is enabled (no password though, never troubled me in the past though), and every time I bash in the IP address to try and map to it, I get "the network path was not found".

Any clues people?... Seems just another fsck up in the painful saga I'm having using Windows XP...
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

XP Firewall turned off? If not turn it off and try again.

Yup, XP "firewall" is off.
    [email protected]

Two things I have come across is that the shares become corrupt some how and unmappable, removing them and recreating them helps.

The guest account profile gets corrupt or has not got the correct rights.

If you login as Admin do you get to map the shares then?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

XP can be a pain in the *** when it comes to sharing between 2 pc's and I would know this as I have had all kinds of troubles with it...

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but one problem i found was that my p2p drive sharing wouldn't work when both my computers had a different gateway and subnet mask. To fix it, I would simply release the IP's on both then renew then at the EXACT same time, and usually (always actually), I would get them on the same gateway and subnet. This could be due to the crappy way that my network is set up, but it is definitely something to think about.

Other than that, have you tried running the network setup wizard? Seemed to work fairly well for me, if you haven't done it I would recommend it.
    D O C

I have a few other tricks up my sleeve to get your network working, so if you use MSN Messenger you can add me my e-mail is [email protected]. I could help you better there than I could on here because I have too much to type to do you any good, you'd go blind before finishing it. I'll be home around 5:00pm PST.
    D O C

Have you enabled sharing?
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

OK.. doesn't look like it was the XP box at all being 'broken'...

This box is out on the internet (no, I don't need a lesson on security, I've got a good idea how insecure this is, and its just a very temporary, stop gap solution )

Anyway, I come home last night, and I can actually access this PC perfectly, on a different connection. Bloody odd.

I check out the setup at work, kick out domain controller in the guts (just out of morbid fascination) and see what happens.... nope, still can't access this box. I can ping it, I can control it via VNC / PCAnywhere, I just cannot share to it, and more importantly, I cannot get the bastard thing to connect via VPN (which would allow me to turn off the horrible insecure side of things)

Why would I be able to get to it from one connection (with more lag mind you) but not from another?... what would have caused this to just magically stop working?

Bloody hell, why does wierd **** happen when I'm about to leave the company?
    [email protected]

Originally posted by EvilCabbage

Why would I be able to get to it from one connection (with more lag mind you) but not from another?... what would have caused this to just magically stop working?

Bloody hell, why does wierd **** happen when I'm about to leave the company?
    When it comes down to this why don't you try using your head? If it don't work, let it stay broken. If they can't get it to work they'll call you in as a consultant to fix it since "you know the network."

Charge at least $250 per hour and I now deserve a portion of that ;-)
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Turn off "simple file sharing" and make sure that your user name is on the serving box.

Also check your share permissions.
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]