Upgrade or scrap

Thread: Upgrade or scrap

Post Upgrade or scrap

Here is my problem.....450mhz intel on a i440bx Chaintech motherboard. 100mhz fsb....can I overclock or should I scrap the mb and processor and go faster.....cost is an issue...but can free up around $300 for the entire process....ram, processor, mb. So...whadaya think guys??

what do you want to use the system for? How much memory do you currently have? I am on a similiar machine right now with 512 meg of ram and it does everything I want....surfing and mainly audio work....I am converting 25 years worth of albums to CD...
    Rudolph N. Koester
    U.S.Army(disabled)
    ASE Certified Master Engine Machinist

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting "...holy ****...what a ride!"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight... he'll just kill you. J. Steinbeck

[quote]Originally posted by cybermedic:
    Here is my problem.....450mhz intel on a i440bx Chaintech motherboard. 100mhz fsb....can I overclock or should I scrap the mb and processor and go faster.....cost is an issue...but can free up around $300 for the entire process....ram, processor, mb. So...whadaya think guys??

PowerLeap Tualatin slotket (yes this works on 440bx boards don't ask how) with a Tualatin 1.26. not too bad.

I would try the overclocking option first.
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

I have a 6BTM - overclocks quite well... Then again, you can get an Athlon, mobo and RAM and be within budget. PIIIs are more expensive than P4s or Athlons (around here anyway), if you can find someone selling them. A newer board should have ATA100 and use DDR RAM, giving you potential for upgrading in future. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I think my biggest hurdle to overcome is the dreaded format of my hd. I've got so much crap loaded on it, (as well as some really good stuff) and I am NOT looking forward to trying to wade through it. You know, small little apps that have ID# that are either lost or I will forget about them...major programs that have ID#'s that I will forget until I try to reload them.....DAMN!!! I really hate cleaning a harddrive. hehehe That's why my desk looks like a hurricane hit it. I think I may try to increase my ram....only running 196mb will try adding 256mb.....might even try to overclock this hog. I do know that this class of P3's get pretty hinky when overclocked. Anyway....thanks for the input....given me plenty to think about.

You don't have to dread formatting your drive. If you are using Windows9x/ME, you can press F8 at boot and go to command prompt. Then rename c:\windows\win.com to wincom.bak, rename the Windows directory to Winold, and rename Progra~1 (Program Files) to oldprogs. Now you can reinstall Windows and leave everything else intact. Then you can slowly go through everything in the old directories as needed. This is the way I reinstall Windows and it makes my life so much easier.

[quote]Originally posted by MacGyver:
    You don't have to dread formatting your drive. If you are using Windows9x/ME, you can press F8 at boot and go to command prompt. Then rename c:\windows\win.com to wincom.bak, rename the Windows directory to Winold, and rename Progra~1 (Program Files) to oldprogs. Now you can reinstall Windows and leave everything else intact. Then you can slowly go through everything in the old directories as needed. This is the way I reinstall Windows and it makes my life so much easier.

That Is an awesome tip MacGyver, thank you..

I always set my hard drive to slave and installed on a spare then took my time wading thru everything...
    When I was done ghosted them and swithched them back..

Your way sounds much easier

I agree...Fantastic tip....will use it next time.
    This time though, I have so many little crap apps, downloads, and the like, that I have completely overcrowded my registry and even with the best reg cleaner it's still slower than molasses. Also installed ie6.0 and that REALLY messed it up....outlook express is completely nuts now. Soooooooo....

I'm thinking of upgrading to WinXp.....any thoughts?? I am only using this machine for downloading music and ripping cd's......watch a few dvd's.....and am connected to cable so download times aren't toooooo bad, heheheh. But I just love trying all the cool little helper apps and utilities....I know I know...they are like pouring sugar in a gas tank....but I can't help it....any thoughts???