entry point not found

Thread: entry point not found

Angry entry point not found

Help!!!

When I click internet explorer, or task manager or any other program... I get the following message...

The procedure entry point AssocIsDangerous could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll

I've scanned for virus..came up clean.... need help fixing this pleeeeeeeaaaasseeee!!!

Welcome to Windrivers!

Well a bit of digging around suggests that you have an older copy of SHLWAPI.dll in the wrong place on your machine.

Boot to safe mode and do a search for that file - making sure you are showing hidden files and folders. The next step is to work out which is the old copy and the new copy. Then you need your 2k cd to boot to recovery console, rename the old copy and copy the new copy into the directory where the old one was.....

Have you recently done any updates?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes I had downloaded Service Pack 4

I changed isp to a cable access, the man came installed a D Link card, DL'ed some software for it and gave me the valla virus... my anti virus moved the infected files into its vault, the computer is now virus free, but I cant restore any filed from the anti virus program because no programs will load because of this dll file... he tried doing all kinds of things as far as running repair off the w2k pro cd etc... and i didnt have any problems with this dll until he did that... so I guess he saved an older version of the file but I cant see my desktop or anything to search for files... I can only get the task manager up to run things from there... i had to install netscape to even come online and look for help because i get that same message on every program but this one... hope you can help me some!!!

Did you try booting to safe mode?

Did you work out what version of files you have?

Do you know how to use the cd to get to recovery console?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Exclamation desktop missing too

Yes I am on in safe mode, using netscape because internet explorer and all other programs give me the message about the .dll

I have no desktop, start menu, or taskbar to use it is all blacked out and explorer.exe gives me the entry point not found in that .dll so Im not sure how to find those files to check which is the newer version or older

Ok... you are a bit stuck then.

You can either use the repair console or install over the top of your current install - the problem is there is that you will lose the updates you have previously done.

Since its the technicians fault that you are in this sorry state, have you demanded the company send you someone that knows what they are doing to repair it?

lost cause with the tech

Yes unfortunately for me i am stuck and the company techs are a lost cause as they have sent me 3 different men thus far and I've gotten further than the 3 combined work... seems my studies for MCSE gave me more knowledge than them actually being certified

I will have to try the reinstall, thanx for all the help