Netscape 4.78 under WIN98SE

Thread: Netscape 4.78 under WIN98SE

Netscape 4.78 under WIN98SE

I'm not sure this query is pertinent to this section. If not, maybe someone can tell me where to take it.

I'm running Netscape 4.78 under Windows 98SE on a Hitachi Visonbook laptop. The processor is only 133 Mhz and according to Netscape you can't run a newer version of their browser with less than 266 Mhz.

With this browser I can't access certain websites, including some that are important for my work. Some of these websites make the browser freeze. Others don't load properly. It may be problems with the javascript. Or perhaps other issues. I've seen on some websites that have to do with programs (like WebCT) that they don't work with Netscape 4.78, so apparently it does have bugs, but I can't find any fixes for 4.78 on the Netscape website.

Does anyone know if there's a solution to my problem (besides getting a new computer)?

Yes get mozilla its based on the same technology but it works better. If you can reach the sites with mozilla that you can't with netscape you know its a configuration problem. Also mozilla has this nice habit of telling what its doing and why it can't.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks, NooNoo. I'll try it.

NooNoo-

I just checked the Mozilla.org website, and it says that v.1.4 requires a minimum processor speed of 233Mhz. Do you have any idea if:
    1) That means it won't work on my 133Mhz machine?
    2) I could use one of the earlier versions? Which one?

(Mozilla.org has no support, help forum, or end-user groups.)

Originally posted by mikeys
    (Mozilla.org has no support, help forum, or end-user groups.)
    Really?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes, NooNoo, they specifically state that they provide no support whatsoever.

However, I was able to subscribe to the netscape.mozilla.user.win32 usegroup. What a nightmare! I've never seen so many confused and discouraged people, and so many bugs (like for example Mozilla apparently makes the register.dat file grow continuously in size, or the people who lost all their mail files...uy!).

The fellas there, mostly people working on the "nightly builds", told me that they thought it was worth a try to see if one or another of the Mozilla or standalone (Firebird and Thunderbird) versions might work under my Pentium I...No guarantees, natch.

But after seeing the literally hundred of bug-infested users begging for help in that user group, I think I may just kiss off the 1-in-20 websites I can't access with Netscape 4.78. Why jump from the frying pan into the fire?

Man, these computers are scarey!

Is Opera, like Netscape, a Mozilla-based browser?

Try the Avant Browser www.avantbrowser.com The min specs are a P-166 with 16 MB of RAM. But you really need to have IE 6 installed for Avant to work properly.

-Nekur0

Ok, I know you asked already not to receive this advice, but I will give it anyway. A laptop that is a 133 is useless! You gotta be able to find a PII laptop for less than $200. If this is for your work, then get some funds from them!

It's not a question of money. I can well afford to buy a new desktop or laptop. But I've been using this Hitachi for six years. I use it all day. I'm totally habituated to the programs on it. I can't just stop my work for a few months to learn how to use a new operating system, new browser, new email program, new agenda program, etc.. And many of the programs I've been using are simply not available for newer systems.

There's a Spanish saying: "Better an evil known thatn an evil yet to learn". I think that apllies perfectly to computers.

There's also an American saying that has been proven out all my life: "If it's not broken, don't fix it".

M.