what is the best anti-virus program?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what is the best anti-virus program?

what is the best anti-virus program?

Mcfee or Norton? I cant decide which one to start using, price is not an issue here, I am just trying to decide based on sheer performance, thanks!

Although what I have to say is sheer opinion. I have had the most luck with Mcafee online virus scan.

Norton seems to use too much system resources and also causes network problems (default installation options).

I am not a big fan of Norton products simply because of the fact that most of the problems that customers complain about are resolved by simply removing all Norton products from their computer.

I liked the simple command line Mcafee back in the dos days. What happened to sheer simplicity.
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]

Just to offer an alternative AVG Pro seems a good choice.

there is no "best". One you need to do is find one that works for you and does what you want it to do. We can offer as the others have a "GOOD" virus scan though. Personally I use f-prot for windows.... Nice and small, doesn't take a lot of resources and doesn't interfere in MOST things I do!!
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

F-Prot! HuuWaaa!

I'm running PCCillin now.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

I use AVG myself. It does a good job. I also go to http://www.pandasoftware.com to check my system incase my local AV has been compromised...
    W

I've never had much luck with PCcillin.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Nortons antivirus is the one I like. I agree that system works sucks. Nortons is eaiser to setup and help my customers with.
    Keystone

I use McAffee and it's fine. I have tried Norton but hate the way it takes over the PC.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

my 2 cents

McAfee..
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

Norton

Norton all the way.
    I can't understand people complaining about it hogging resources.
    Especially with XP, that shouldn't ever be a problems.
    Have it iinstalled at all of my business's and none have had a problem in years, even the ones with win98.

McAffee is a virus.. no more needs be said.

personaly, I use NAV on the laptop and eTrust on the server.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Talking On Mcafee

Really Matridom.
    I have had sooo many problems with McAfee over the years.
    Even on my personal PC it wouldn't install properly. Took a remove/reinstall and patch to get it to work. I have four different ones on my pc for testing purposes, but NAV is the one running in the background and doing weekly scans.

I tend to switch around every few months to see what's available and what's new.

I've been using McAfee now for the past 2 years and have never had a problem with it. We used to have it deployed in a hospital and never came across any problem other than installation issues on Novell.

The fact that it covers my Palm is a plus in my book.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I have used the corporate edition of both and have supported Mcafee extensively. Both are excelent virus scanners when all functionality is turned on and updates run on a frequent basis. Both scanners consume a good deal of overhead and can cripple older machines (below 400mhz).

Macafee did have a great deal of issues, a far more difficult interface for controll over the clients lan/wan computers. I had constany piddling issues with the client and it we had to pay to search their support page that was difficult to use. They were usually the last to have updated definitions, the definitions often times would cause major issues with the machine (no boot up, no video at boot until space bar is hit, corruption of the scanner).

I will never choose Macfee as my virus scanner based upon my personnal experience with it.

Norton corporate on the other hand was easier to deal with and I didn't get to work with it as much but I heard it was far easier to push definitions and to manage clients. I use it at home with no issues.

All in all, right now it's norton as the way to go.