[RESOLVED] HP USB Help

Thread: [RESOLVED] HP USB Help

lj3759

Post HP USB Help

I'm currently having problems with a HP 6470Z computer. I checked on there web site and had no luck. This is the problem:

I've restored the computer numerous times using the restore CD and by installing Windows 98 2nd edition. Everything works fine until I load the scanner software. The scanner itself doesn't work very well it is an HP 6200C. It will take up to 30 minutes to warm up the lamp, and after it scans (whenever that may be) it takes another 10-20 minutes to actually save the document to the disk. I'm thinking I'm having issues with the USB port because I'm also having a problem with a Creative Labs View cam. I can't determine if the problem is hard ware or software. I'm pretty sure it is software because occasionally the machine will boot up and find a new USB device "the scanner". That doesn't make any sense. The only thing added to the machine since it was purchased was more RAM, a CDRW, and a 2nd parallel port. Could the 2nd parallel port be causing this problem? It is ISA, but it seems to work fine. I haven't tried to pull it out and install the scanner because I didn't think this would be an issue. Everything did work at one time... a long long time ago...

Any input or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Hi,
    Did you try these HP's links? The first one has to do with BIOS updates for your Pavilion and the second one is a driver update for the scanner itself.
    Don't know if this'll help, but Good Luck!
    DonJ
    http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindex...9404_swen.html
    http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindex...7119_swen.html
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

lj3759

Question

I did try the scanner update, but that is an update just for the copy machine in the scanner software. I did not however try the BIOS upgrade. Do you think that will make a difference? I will try it anyway, it won't hurt. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. It is my Mom's computer and she is driving me nuts asking when it is going to get fixed. If I had a clue what was wrong with it, it would be fixed already...

Hi,

I'm sure you've probably already thought of these suggestions, but will try anyway...

You mentioned that more memory was added...is it functioning correctly? I know some installs don't go very well. You might try going back to the original config.

If you have acces to another computer, try installing the scanner on it and see how it operates, i.e. how long does it take to warm up the bulb and save documents, etc. Of course, it would have to have another USB interface. You might try installing your USB from your mom's into the other machine.

And, as you said, it could be possible that the USB is going bad.

Sorry I couldn't help more...Good Luck!
    DonJ
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!