mandrake 9.2 thoughts.

Thread: mandrake 9.2 thoughts.

mandrake 9.2 thoughts.

Just got the new version on mandrake 9.2
    I installed it on my pc. The graphics looks good and I'm pleased with the appearance.

9.1 the install would load the wrong sound driver for my sound card (soundblaster live).
    9.2 Still installed the wrong drivers also.

9.1 I have DSL and the previous versions don't load the drivers but tell you what you need to download.
    9.2 Doesn't load the right drivers but does let you add the drivers at the install if you have them. A nice little feature.

9.1 Had some nice programs that came with the software.
    9.2 A lot of those programs I liked are missing. I'm going to try and upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2 and see if those programs remain on the system. Some of the programs that were missing were : Korganizer / emm mp3 player / a file manager that you could start in Root mode/

I was hoping my scanner would have drivers and it still doesn't.

The program that 9.1 came with for my tv card wasn't included in 9.2

Tux racer doesn't like my video card on 9.1 and still doesn't like it on 9.2 (nvidia geforce 440)

Anyway, it has a nice looking graphics. I was dissappointed that it didn't correct any of the issues I had with earlier versions. It still seems buggy to me, I'll have to keep dual booting with XP. Looking forward to the day that I can say goodbye to Xp but this isn't it.

I wrote this just in case anyone was wondering about 9.2. Just a little information on my situations that might help someone.

cool, thanks for the review on 9.2

One handy tip that some wise person suggested here to figure out drivers was to boot up with Knoppix and figure out what drivers it is using on a device (especially sound) and then make Mandrake use them.

You have probably already bended Mandrake 9.2 to your will, but the Knoppix approach seems like a handy tip.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

knoppix

Quote Originally Posted by craigmodius
    cool, thanks for the review on 9.2

One handy tip that some wise person suggested here to figure out drivers was to boot up with Knoppix and figure out what drivers it is using on a device (especially sound) and then make Mandrake use them.

You have probably already bended Mandrake 9.2 to your will, but the Knoppix approach seems like a handy tip.
    Have not tried Knoppix but I think it would be worth trying. Might have save me a lot of trouble. I'm still new at Linux so any advice is appreciated.
    But i do like the appearance of Mandrake 9.2 and I'll keep playing with it.

most of this is ez fix, first off I suggest downlaoding the latest linux drivers from nvidia and instal lthose, the I suggest re-compiling your kernel and laod only the drivers you need, I never use the stock kernel to big and slow. I keep it incase I need to use it. But I compile a new one just for my hardware only. You might find your scanner drivers there, if not have you searched for a kernal module for your scanner. See personally I hate this auto detet crap, I rather manually setup all the drivers and scripts then it runs faster, and I like to compile everyhthing I can to make it optimized to my hardware and software settings and it will also run quicker.

But its kool your installing OS's other than Windows

cheers

Thanks for the info.
    I have never tried to recompile the kernel but I think I might try it shortly. Right now I have a brand new system with nothing to loose if I screw it up. I can always just reinstall.

Gonna start looking to see where I can download knoppix from and try that. I've got to get some real good documentation to figure Linux out. Would like to get something specific to the system I'm running like Mandrake 9.2.

I'm trying to migrate completely off windows but it looks like I'll have to keep XP around a little while longer.

Thanks you guys for the help and the info. This is always a good place to come and learn something.....

Quote Originally Posted by charlescpc
    Tux racer doesn't like my video card on 9.1 and still doesn't like it on 9.2 (nvidia geforce 440)
    You need to grab the Official Nvidia drivers off the Nvidia website, have you done this? No 3D accelerated stuff will work until you do.

Quote Originally Posted by charlescpc
    Thanks for the info.
    I have never tried to recompile the kernel but I think I might try it shortly. Right now I have a brand new system with nothing to loose if I screw it up. I can always just reinstall.

Gonna start looking to see where I can download knoppix from and try that. I've got to get some real good documentation to figure Linux out. Would like to get something specific to the system I'm running like Mandrake 9.2.

I'm trying to migrate completely off windows but it looks like I'll have to keep XP around a little while longer.

Thanks you guys for the help and the info. This is always a good place to come and learn something.....
    I agree with the knoppix bootable CD, I love those Linux distros on a CD I mess with so many coworkers with those things. But seriously they are good for finding what drivers are autoloaded by the CD as well as mounting your partitions and chrooting to recompile a kernel or fixing a config file.

After that I usually make 1 kernel with all the necessity's compiled in and save it as /boot/failsafe That way no matter how much I screw everything up I will always have a backup to at least boot download stuff and re-compile.

Daemon is right about the OEM configs though the first time i installed gentoo with it's genkernel I tought the damn thing had locked up. because it makes almost everything a module 99% of them you dont need.

It took me 7 times to get it right , but after that It became pretty easy.

Gentoo is pretty good if you know what you are doing when installing. Gets kinda tricky with the x-page manual (online on the web site). If you are a n00b to linux and want to learn everything at once and can absorb info easily and quickly, install gentoo. Mandrake is like the n00b linux. Everything can be automated and it doesn't have many "hardcore" linux features. Just go with RedHat9.0 if you don't wanna install yourself (eg: gentoo). there's a reason why every corporation uses it. I've played with them all, red hat is good

Quote Originally Posted by orkalass
    Gentoo is pretty good if you know what you are doing when installing. Gets kinda tricky with the x-page manual (online on the web site). If you are a n00b to linux and want to learn everything at once and can absorb info easily and quickly, install gentoo. Mandrake is like the n00b linux. Everything can be automated and it doesn't have many "hardcore" linux features. Just go with RedHat9.0 if you don't wanna install yourself (eg: gentoo). there's a reason why every corporation uses it. I've played with them all, red hat is good
    I used RedHat for a long time. Too bad they are going to kill their free distro.
    I'm a rage-aholic! I just can't live without rage-ahol! -Homer Simpson

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnFEST
    You need to grab the Official Nvidia drivers off the Nvidia website, have you done this? No 3D accelerated stuff will work until you do.
    It will work, just at crap framerates.

Prior to install of the drivers Tron lightcycles ran at ~8fps after install it runs at 250+ with a GF 2 GTS
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orkalass
    Mandrake is like the n00b linux.
    Why do you say that? Mandrake is a very nice distro, hardly a "n00b" release. A "n00b" distro is something like college linux or lindows.

And only a "n00b" would use the word "n00b"
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Quote Originally Posted by ironwill99
    I used RedHat for a long time. Too bad they are going to kill their free distro.
    You are so right about that.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1371219,00.asp

I think all the linux companies will eventually do the same thing in order to make some kind of money. Linux is not so free as many people think it is.

I also enjoy trying out knoppix. Mostly ideal for using on systems with at least 256 to 512 mb of ram.

Mandrake 9.2 does have an issue with killing LG brand cd/cdrw/dvd drives.

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3
    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3

I also wouldn't mind trying out Apple's new O/S ver 10.3 (codename Panther)

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html

I haven't touched an apple computer in years. Maybe time to try. I'm still an IBM compatible user by heart.