Mouse not working

Thread: Mouse not working

Post Mouse not working

I am in the process of putting together a machine from old parts for my brother and can not get the mouse to work. I believe it is a shuttle hot-569 version 2.0 motherboard. I took an existing hard drive that had win98 installed on it and installed it into the machine. Win98 went through and found and installed all kinds of components. Everything seems to be working fine other than the mouse. The mouse is connected to a com port with a serial to ps/2 adapter.I do not have any driver disks for the motherboard and don't know if I need any. And I was looking all over the web for possible solutions and read this one. It was not for my specific motherboard but it was the same problem. It said to clear the cmos. I have never done that and was wondering if that could be a possible solution. And if so how do I go about doing it and what is it that is actually being "cleared".

Here is a post from the forum i found "Ive seen a bios bug that has done this mouse thing, nothing i would do would make the comp see the mouse, till i cleared the cmos then it started working. Try clearing the cmos.
    I've now seen this on 14 computers well not realy a bug just a missconfig of cmos that sometimes develops. i dont know how, but ive seen it many times before."

I know it is a good working mouse and even tried a second mouse. The two I tested were both MS intellimouse 1.1a ps/2 compatible. Can anyone offer any assistance???

Thanks

Darren Wilson

The PS/2 - Comm port adaptors are funny things. They work with some mice but not others. Does a standard serial mouse work ( no convertor) ?

If you are using serial mouse ... check for conflicts in com ports.

If you are using PS/2 mouse ... seems no problem using that kind of mouse.
    WARNING
    :: I am NOT held responsible for any damages on your coumputer. ::