sound under mandrake 9.1

Thread: sound under mandrake 9.1

sound under mandrake 9.1

i just installed mandrake 9.1 with kde 3.1, and all is good except for sound.
    drake seems to have found the driver, here are the results:

Vendor: ‎VIA Technologies

Alternative drivers: ‎via82cxxx_audio

Bus: ‎PCI

Bus identification: ‎1106:3059:1462:7120

Location on the bus: ‎0:11:5

Description: ‎VT8233 [AC97 Audio Controller]

Module: ‎snd-via82xx

Media class: ‎MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO

When ever i try playing anything, mp3, movie, i cant hear any sounds. when i boot windows all works fine. The mobo is an MSI KT4V, with built-in sound. i checked MSI website, but it doesn't seem to have a linux driver anywhere. anyone have an ideas?

cheers
    ala

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

you might also need to add the sound driver from in the kernel and recompile it... or buy the working OSS driver from

http://www.opensound.com/

RE: Sound under MDK 9.1

Your actually using the ALSA sound drivers that are the new default drivers for Mandrake. From the command line, as root, type "lsmod" and see if the module actually loaded. You can also type "dmesg" and get a print out of the post info. If the module's are loaded, check to make sure that the sound mixer (kmix, alsamixergui,gnomemixer,etc) doesn't have the sound "muted" by default. You can also go into the KDE control center and under Sounds, check to make sure that the aRTs sound server is activated. This is the default sound server for KDE. Good Luck and post back if that doesn't work.

hope this helps

I had a similiar problem with Mandrake 9.1 After installing 9.1 my sound didn't work either. I have a sound blaster live card. I checked the card's driver and it loaded a driver for audigy. I changed the driver and sound is working. I would suggest checking the driver to be sure the right one is loaded
    Seems like 9.1 has a few bugs in it and loads the wrong sound drivers. Anyway, that's the problem I had.

wow! featured on the front page!

anyway, well, instead of banging my head against the wall, i decided to switch distros all together. i loaded up red hat, and it works fine with sound. weird since it is using the same audio driver as mandarake.

now however, the ethernet refuses to login onto the internet, which is weird, because i can access the routers configuration page, but not the internet?

can i correctly generalize that linux if doesn't get happy with onboard stuff?

cheers
    ala

Use the alternate driver for that chip. I have a laptop with the VT8231 chip built onboard. The snd_via82xx just wouldn't play any sound, and on starting KDE I got errors about the mixer not being found.

Ohter note of advice, get a copy of Knoppix. It's a linux disto that runs just from a bootable CD, and has alot of auto detection for various hardware. Run it once, take notes on what hardware and drivers it uses, and if it works, use those with your favorite disto.