Linksys wireless router antenna connectors

Thread: Linksys wireless router antenna connectors

Linksys wireless router antenna connectors

I have a linksys wireless router (model BEFW11S4). I am the type of person that is always looking to tweak on things and now I want to make an external antenna for it for more DB gain. I have made a cantenna and now want to make an omni directional antenna for it. I have all the parts that I need but I do not want to keep on buying the pigtails off of EBAY I would like to make them BUT no one in my area has the right connector for the connection on the router itself does anyone know where I can buy this connector (not Ebay) I do not know what kind of connector it is.
    Growing up I've spent half of my money on Fast cars, fast women and Booze the other half I just wasted!

I think this may be what you're looking for:

DIY RP-TNC Connectors for Cisco/Linksys

There's a Link on there to somewhere that sells them, plus, as an added bonus, if you're so inclined, you can always make one yourself!

I'm currently enhancing/breaking my Netgear AP using a few of the tips on that site, can't wait to see if I can remember which end of a soldering iron does what
    Bollocks

Originally posted by Titchski
    can't wait to see if I can remember which end of a soldering iron does what
    Plug it in and hold it by one end, if you drop it, you had the wrong end
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    Plug it in and hold it by one end, if you drop it, you had the wrong end
    I have a friend who picked up the soldering iron the wrong way.. fuunnnnyyy
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

That thing will only work by mistake! We are talking about matched antennas here, when you connect a piece of cable between you're lucky if it works any more!
    In order to make it work you need to match the impedance of the full wavelength antenna (in fact 2 of them at 1 1/4 wavelength distance) with the impedance of the cables and have no or very low loss on that cable... Unfortunately at 2.4GHz the signal loss on few feet of cable is greater than the gain from a better antenna, and the slightest impedance mismatch will cause your signal to bounce back to the router instead of being radiated by the antenna. Sorry to cut your enthusiasm.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

I purchased a wireless antenna connected it to my Belkin 802.11G PCI Wireless NIC received a jump of 20-30db increase. I'm sure such an increase was due to computer being located in a closed Desk. Now the antenna sitts on top of my desk pointed in the direction of the router in the next room.

http://www.computers4sure.com/produc...ductid=1372732
    Last edited by addict; September 2nd, 2003 at 09:19 AM.

Originally posted by addict
    I purchased a wireless antenna connected it to my PCI Wireless NIC received a jump of 20-30db increase.
    I'm curious how you have measured the 20-30 dB increase on that antenna. The specs give only 6dB and instead of omni-directional it becomes directional. FYI: 20dB increase represents 100x while 30dB is 1000x apparent radiated power increase. The best 2.4GHz passive antennas on the market only deliver some 15-18dB which represents 30-50x increase at the cost of a very narrow radiated beam (think 20 degrees). The best gain you can really expect from omnidirectional antennas is some 3dB, which is 2x.

Thanks Titchski those links helped a lot I don’t think I will be making my connectors (I seem to be all thumbs) but I will buy them from that other site. CeeBee you have a valid point but dont steel my dream with your words of sanity here are some links to what others have been able to achieve using the same antennas that I will be making.

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/wlg/1124

http://www.nodomainname.co.uk/Antenn...ni-directional

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

This one even has a calculator on the page for figuring out were to put the element in the can. http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html
    Growing up I've spent half of my money on Fast cars, fast women and Booze the other half I just wasted!

Don't forget, all those "can" type antennas are unidirectional, you wanted omnidirectional ... and the wireless routers to which they are attached originally have a single antenna. This changes a lot of things since your router has 2 coupled antennas (again, different impedance seen at each antenna conector due to the other antenna). Take it from someone who has designed and built both transcievers and antennas

Originally posted by CeeBee
    I'm curious how you have measured the 20-30 dB increase on that antenna. The specs give only 6dB and instead of omni-directional it becomes directional.
    Like I said in my post my computer is in a desk were my tower is enclosed with only small venting holes. With the external antenna I was able to put the antenna on my desk pointing in the direction of the wireless router. I measured the signal increase with Belkin's Diag software tells me how many db's my CONNECTION is. As you are correct my boost is db connection not overall strenth of my PCI WNIC. I went from 3-5 db's to over 30. I know the boost is not just from the antenna but from the placement of it, as it now has less stuff to travel through.
    Last edited by addict; September 2nd, 2003 at 11:46 AM.

Dude CeeBee your killing me. Now I dont know what to do. I guess your signature is true "Ignorance is the beginning of all failures." I have already built the unidirectional Cantenna with much success but now I want to build the other omni antenna. Well thanks for the info. I will update you all with my results.

Run over to the netstumbler forums and ask (search first cause you question has been answered time and time again) there. Those guys know they're shiznit.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert