Anyone ever used Suse?

Thread: Anyone ever used Suse?

Registered User Dark Millennium's Avatar

Anyone ever used Suse?

Just wondering as I have never seen nor used it and was thinking of actually buying a copy...(there isn't a free version or am I nuts?)

Would like to know how well it works in a production environment, are there any bells or whistles exclusive to Suse?, etc...

Thanks
    The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of you coffee.
    (Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel)

If a program is useful, it will have to be changed.
    (Laws of Computer Programming, III)

Thanx to Adept for the Avatar

You can download an ISO here

I guess they have a demo version that runs off a cd
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

RE: Suse'

The "iso" you refer to is what SuSE calls their "Live Eval". On the same line as Knoppix, it's a "run-from-cd" version of the distro. The only way to install SuSE is either buy the Standard or Pro version (you can do a ftp install if you have the band width!). I've been using SuSE since the 6.4 version and it's known as a distro that offers quite the package selection. The Pro version comes with 7 cd's and 2 dvd's and can be installed with a default install of as little as 1.5 gig or a custom install of up to 4 gig or more (depends on if you want the cluster apps, ham radio apps, etc.) There are more apps than most other distro's and the hardware detection is quite impressive. If you want a distro that is very functional as a desktop for home or office with some bells and whistles and offers more bells and whistles and more bells and whistles,well, youy get the point. You're interested in buying it? Go for it. You won't be disappointed.

ya I used Suse a looong time ago, its when they were just getting started I didnt like them then but not sure how they are now...