[RESOLVED] MY MOUSE IS OUT OF CONTROL. HELP!!!

Thread: [RESOLVED] MY MOUSE IS OUT OF CONTROL. HELP!!!

tshano

Red face MY MOUSE IS OUT OF CONTROL. HELP!!!

I cant believe this. All of the sudden after I reinstall windows my mouse is out of control. I dont know if this is a irq conflict but if it was a irq conflict then it would tell it in the sys manager. Anyway, this may sound stupid but I dont see a "resources tab" in the mouse properties in system manager. And my mouse is going here and there WILDLY and its very had to control an uncontrollable "mouse".

Please help me, thanks.

Hi,

Go to Control Panel/Mouse/Motion...make sure that it is not set to fast...try slowing it down some and see it that helps.

Have you tried cleaning the mouse ball? Take it out and roll it between the palms of your hands. Also, since you've got the bottom open, look inside at the two metal rods...one is for the X-axis and the other for the Y-axis...make sure there is not dust, dirt, hair, etc. jamming up the works. Also, make sure that your mouse pad is nice and clean and on a flat surface. If all of that fails, it looks like it's about time for a new mouse...a decent one goes for about $12-$15.

For more info on replacing mouse balls, see the link below...

Good Luck!
    DonJ

http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...ML/000420.html

------------------
    Hey, it's all FM to me!

[This message has been edited by DonJ (edited December 15, 2000).]
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

I fixed this problem on a mouse a few days ago. It turned out to be one of the components McAfee tries to load through the registry on startup. I don't recall the specific one but if you are using McAfee, you can use msconfig to disable the McAfee lines one at a time and see if you have the same problem.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

It mostly sounds to me like the mouse is dirty. Take the ball out and clean the rollers that it moves on. Other than that different memory hogs can give similar problems. The HP OfficeJet software will do that if the officejet isn't connected.
    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way. ---Pink Floyd

Have your tried booting your machine up in safe mode? If the problem still happens in safe mode then I would recommend trying a different mouse. If it works OK in safe mode then you indeed have a conflict with your resources. 2cents.
    hey its me again!

tshano

I tried everything listed but still the problem. INFACT, I DO HAVE MCAFFEE VIRUSSCANNER. DO YOU WANT ME TO UNINSTALL IT?

Well, I guess you didn't understand my recommendations about using msconfig so go ahead and perform a complete uninstall of McAfee, reboot, and see if the mouse starts working correctly again.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

tshano

I uninstalled the mouse drivers with McAfee and then I installed it again as a PS/2 mouse but then it still says when I reboot my system 'windows did not detect a mouse, to install a PS/2 mouse shutdown your computer then install', which I did but it still the problem. So I rebooted my system and the mouse wouldn't even move. THIS IS VERY IRRITATING.

teranova52

If your mouse is a microsoft one ,you must install the Intellimouse software again .

Your mouse driver is corupted .

You have to reinstall windows ,if you do not have microsoft mouse .

tshano

is it possible for me to overwrite Windows98?

Mustang

If you have a windows 98 installation disk run the install from a dos prompt and tell it to not save system settings
    that will replace all system files and keep any data you have added since last install
    should make it work fine then

[This message has been edited by Mustang (edited December 24, 2000).]

tshano

Question

If I overwirite windows will it change all the IRQ settings that I've changed?

Mustang

it will try and assign irq's on its own
    so it might and it might not
    depends on if windows agree's with your settings

------------------
    Directions???? What are directions?????

tshano

Red face

I resolved the IRQ's manually and I don't know if this is the problem:

When I installed my new mouse I dont think I uninstalled my old one. So if this is the problem then what shall I do?