win98 winxp... talk to each other

Thread: win98 winxp... talk to each other

win98 winxp... talk to each other

I have a windows98 machine and a windows xp machine both on the network and able to browse the internet but unable to see each other. I use the search from the computer for each but they don't see each other.... The win98 machine ( this one ) sees other machines but not it. the winxp sees the server but that is it.... Any ideas???
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by Shard92
    I have a windows98 machine and a windows xp machine both on the network and able to browse the internet but unable to see each other. I use the search from the computer for each but they don't see each other.... The win98 machine ( this one ) sees other machines but not it. the winxp sees the server but that is it.... Any ideas???
    1. Make sure the 98 is set to "Logon for Microsoft Networks" for the primary logon.

2. Make sure that all systems are in the same workgroup.

3. Make sure that the 98 box has a user/pass setup during logon.

4. Create an account on the winXP and any other nt based boxes that match the user/pass setup in step 3

5. Establish a share

6. use \\computername\sharename in a browser window, you should be able to access the share.

7. NEVER EVER EVER EVER use "my network places" or "Network Neighbourhood" to check to see if your network is working properly. That section relies on the browser services and can take up to 15 minutes before it updates.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

What Mat said - except no.1 should read "Make sure Client for Microsoft Networks" is the Primary Network Logon.

The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Other things that can confuse the issue and should be removed for testing and ONLY reapplied if actually needed

Netbeui
    IPX/SPX
    Client for Novell logon
    Microsoft Family Logon
    Other spurious adapters and their associated protocols, such as vpn

Dialup networking is the exception - for some reason on a 9x/me box if this is missing winsock does not install properly.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks all i'll have to try this if I get the chance.... customer is impatient to the point of forgoing the files I was trying to put on there for her....

"2. Make sure that all systems are in the same workgroup."

Well this appears to have been the problem but I still had to find the drive a couple of times before it would find the files I wanted and let me access them...

Also the only place I COULD get it to find the network was from My network places.... but I did have to tell it to search for the \\computername\drivename in order to find it!!! The real stupid thing ( to me anyway ) once it found the one computer all the rest appeared as well!!

No wonder I dont' do that much networking... it sucks... well at least cross-platform networking does!

Quote Originally Posted by Shard92
    "2. Make sure that all systems are in the same workgroup."

Well this appears to have been the problem but I still had to find the drive a couple of times before it would find the files I wanted and let me access them...

Also the only place I COULD get it to find the network was from My network places.... but I did have to tell it to search for the \\computername\drivename in order to find it!!! The real stupid thing ( to me anyway ) once it found the one computer all the rest appeared as well!!

No wonder I dont' do that much networking... it sucks... well at least cross-platform networking does!
    My network places is based of a service that only updates every 12 1/2 minutes or so.. it's not very reliable when new systems get added or for troublshooting. When a new pc is found (like with \\compname\sharename) it will look for that system and add it to the network places.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Thanks, like I said I don't do alot of networking and I've never had anything but on the spot training with it so.... It's nice to know and actually know the why's and wherefores about it....