Wins

Thread: Wins

Wins

Will WINS work on NT4 With 4 subnets over a VPN using one WINS server... ALL ports are allowed between VPN tunnels.. and i can PING around all 4 subnets with no problem.. I want to get WINS to work so i can deploy NAV Corporate and possibly get the DC centrally located instead of having multiple servers..

Quote Originally Posted by ISBB
    Will WINS work on NT4 With 4 subnets over a VPN using one WINS server... ALL ports are allowed between VPN tunnels.. and i can PING around all 4 subnets with no problem.. I want to get WINS to work so i can deploy NAV Corporate and possibly get the DC centrally located instead of having multiple servers..
    Yes.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

It sure will, I have 2 on my network and it consists of almost 40 subnets and over 1500 nodes. It works great and im even using p-nodes it got rid of alot of broadcasts on the network.

Now im trying to remember what wins will do... IF memory serves me correct it collects all the names of the machines pointing at it... basically takes care of the netbios stuff so all the machines can see each other on multiple subnets... via network neighborhood or whatever means of network browsing right..

WINS is the machine that provides name resolution over netbios protocol (older systems like 98 or some programs). Usualy, modern machines use DNS to get name resolution, but sometimes we still have to provide netbios....
    In your situation, if you are going to provide wins to a group of computers over a VPN, the best solution would bee to create a WINS proxy on the group of segments that have to get wins trough the VPN.

This way the trafic would bee 'channeled' trough this machine, and better: broadcasts for wins could bee captured localy, without have to travel trough the vpn.

You would't bee overloading thet machine, because win's proxy is just a machine that colects the request for netbios name resolution and send them to the WIN's server. All you have to do is install the wins proxy by creating or changing a simple key in the registry

go to:
    hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\servic es\netbt\parameters
    and create the key:
    Enable Proxy

with the value:

And certify that you have the wins IP well configurer in the conection propreties of that machine.

Greetings

Do these users need to bee added to the DC before they will show up in network neighborhood so i can see them or is there some other criteria that i need to follow...

Quote Originally Posted by ISBB
    Do these users need to bee added to the DC before they will show up in network neighborhood so i can see them or is there some other criteria that i need to follow...
    avoid using network neighbourhood, it can take up to 12 minutes for new systems to show up there. map everything that is needed, use DFS to simplify things if needed.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Wins can bee configured

You can configure Wins to provide name resolution to everyone, to members of a domain, or to specific ip adresses. After install it in a 2000 server (just go to Add/Remove windows components), you can try the configuration options trough the Wins Tool on the Administrative Tools.

However, I agree with everibody else, this is, DNS is a mutch better and quik system. Are you sure you can leave wins alone, for example, by editing the dns host file in each machine?

Think well because net-bios is not only slow, but it also overload a network very easely and is very vulnerable to hack attacks.

Greetings from the Country of Sun (Midle 33º today)