Skip open files during file copy in Windows

Thread: Skip open files during file copy in Windows

Question Skip open files during file copy in Windows

Question

I am getting ready to copy files from one server (NT 4.0) to another (SBS Windows 2000). Some of the files I am copying are going to be in use. I just don’t know which ones.

Does anyone know of a utility that will copy files, skip the open files, and create some type of log file that will list the files skipped? I have tried XCopy, but I can only get it to list the files it does copy, not the ones it skips.

Thanks

You are looking to maintain current data integrity while migrating from one server to another, am I correct in assuming this so far? The problem is that should file shares (the ones users are currently attached to) remain active, you run the risk of having files changed during the migration, so you want to be able to go back and retrieve those that were missed on the first run, before you bring the new server fully online. In the end you alter login scripts, mapped drives, or whatever, turning of shares on the old system, or taking it off line completely...right? (Correct me if I am wrong anywhere along the line)

Sounds to me like scheduled server maintenance, and should be done during non-production hours, or instruct users of the outage so they can prepare alternate arrangements. Either way, turn off the public share, migrate the data, and change scripts and login information for the users. I usually do something like this at night, or over a weekend. Consistency is the key, and the only way to ensure this is to terminate all user access until it is relocated in the new permanent location...Or am I off base here?

Ya_know

No you are right on. The data move is going to be done during non-business hours. They have productions machines that might have to stay on during the data move. I am not sure when these machines can be turned off. I was just hoping that after the move we could just go back and get the skipped files.

Thanks

Then your best bet is to turn off the shares, and ensure that no files are attached to. If you need help there just let us know, but I think you got it under control.

Then, there will be nothing left behind during the migration. Again, tell the users to turn off production PC’s to ensure that no files are opened on those machines, or data loss could occur on recent changes made. If they don’t listen, they will the next time.

You can use a third party utility XXCOPY. It has the ability to log everything. Missed files, copied files etc. xxcopy.com Free and paid versions.

The same company is developing a product called XXClone which will copy a full W2K, NT, XP system volume to another drive.

Of course there are backup products specifically designed for this. Open File Manager being the most popular. It is used in 99 out of 100 of the major backup products in the industry.

You could also use 4NT as a command processor and use the copy commands within. The scripting capability would allow you to log anything and everything.

You could also use Microsoft Backup which will log all activity including missed files.

Quote Originally Posted by TNR
    Ya_know

No you are right on. The data move is going to be done during non-business hours. They have productions machines that might have to stay on during the data move. I am not sure when these machines can be turned off. I was just hoping that after the move we could just go back and get the skipped files.

Thanks

Oh yea. XXCopy would be able to go back and run the copy again picking up ONLY the changed or new files. Or of course the missed files. It is designed specifically for this.

The /BB switch works best for this but go the the xxcopy forums for detailed help.

You may think about using DFS and making a replica........

DC

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    so you want to be able to go back and retrieve those that were missed on the first run, before you bring the new server fully online. In the end you alter login scripts, mapped drives, or whatever, turning of shares on the old system, or taking it off line completely...right? (Correct me if I am wrong anywhere along the line)

?