Outlook Express won't delete messages?

Thread: Outlook Express won't delete messages?

Outlook Express won't delete messages?

Greetings,
    I have a Win98 box with OE 5. Messages will not delete. Have tried:

Microsoft's repair tool,
    Updating to OE6

any suggestions?

Thanks,

Al
    "It is very dark here. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Does outlook express move them to the delete folder?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

No, the messages do not move at all. The delete button depresses, but nothing happens to the message (doesn't work from menu, or DEL key either)

thanks,

Al

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

No, there are no x's anywhere. This OE installation and mail account is using POP3.

Thanks,

Al

HOW DO I REMOVE STUBBORN EMAILS THAT REFUSE TO DELETE?
    There are two stages to this. If one doesn't work, then the other will:
    1) Apply the Complex Rebuild (if it is in OE5) on your database files. Press & hold the Option/Alt key when launching Outlook Express 5, the rest is explained via a dialogue box.

2) Create a new Identity, and base it on your current setup (via pop-up menu). Use the File > Switch Identity menu to create the new identity.
    Then save out all your emails (drop and drop them into folders, in the Finder), and drop them into the new identity. Export your Address Book, and import it via the File > Import... menu. The rest you will have to recreate by copying and pasting, or rekeying in the data. This usually your Signature and Rules, that will have to be resetup manually.
    Sounds like an indexing problem or screwed profile, according to this site

The first option did nothing. I pressed the ALT key while starting OE, nothing happened. So, I guess that leaves the 2nd method...

al

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Does this happen in all the folders or just the inbox?. Try deleting the Inbox.dbx and deleted items.dbx file with OE not running. (do a search for it)You will lose all messages in those folders. Then open outlook express. The deleted items and inbox folder will be recreated (with nothing in it). If that doesn't work you can delete the Sent Items, etc and they will be recreated when you re-open OE. Note that folders you created, not created by OE will NOT be replaced. If all this fails try going to File-Compact-All Folders

Option/Alt key What key is the Option key?
    Last edited by techs; September 16th, 2003 at 07:42 PM.

if i recall correctly off microsofts site your deleted items.dbx file is corrupt

OE 5, Messages will not delete.

Quote Originally Posted by jakkwb
    Greetings,
    I have a Win98 box with OE 5. Messages will not delete. Have tried:

Microsoft's repair tool,
    Updating to OE6

any suggestions?

Thanks,

Al
    Close OE, search for and rename the deleted items.dbx file, if the issue continues then copy all yor *dbx files in the Outlook Express folder and then rename the original folders.dbx file, if this doesn't work then the inbox.dbx file is probably damaged, rename the original inbox.dbx file, if the issue continues then export the mail account settings and create a new identity, import the data from the original identity and import the mail account settings. For info on backing up/recovering your data see article 270670 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.
    If renaming the inbox.dbx file works then you may be able to recover the data by importing the copy of the inbox.dbx file. NOTE: Whenever any of the default *.dbx files are deleted or renamed then theY are recreated when OE is started.

Stu1701