It's got to be the MOBO

Thread: It's got to be the MOBO

Question It's got to be the MOBO

I put togeather a machine over Xmas that works great except when it comes to playing recent 3d games. I get random crashes when playing diablo2 or balders gate2. I have a jetway MOBO 99as-l,256 rampc133 an intelp3@533 not overclocked,soundblasterlive mp3 5.1, an ati rage fury maxx,a linksys lne100tx ethernet card, I run an epson 740 usb printer and a hawking usb web cam. I also have an acer flatbed scanner and a sidewinder forcefeed back joystick, a plextor 8x4x32x cdrw, and a connectrix dvd all running on a 45 gb ata 66 Western dig HDD. and inside a full tower case with a 300 watt power supply. Oh and a logitech marble mouse.
    I've installed and played in all cdrom combinations. I've swapped out my video card with a creative 3d blaster banshee. I swapped out my soundblaster with a turtle beach montego2. I put a seagate 8 Gb ata33 HDD and reinstalled everything.and then only put the game on. I took one mem chip out at a time and tried to run the game. Still random hangs. It would seem to me that I've eliminated all hardware problems but the MOBO? Have I? Any suggestions appreciated.I feel I would have better built an amd system. Perhaps getting a MOBO chip combo would now make scence? I don't want future incompatibility issues. I've heard there are problems with the rage fury and the via chip. Should I get a bx MOBO and run my slot 1 533 at 500 or 550? I'm at my wits end!!!!!!
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

well from what you describe it might be the Motherboard, but it might be many other factors.

However Jetway Mobos are crap

I would suggest going with the Abit SH6 -
    http://www.abit.com.tw/english/produ...boards/sh6.htm

Slot 1, Intel 815E chipset (Udma 100). This is probably The best Motherbaord for Slot 1 CPUs outthere today.

Wow!!!!!!! That's quite the slot 1 MOBO. I looked on ebay and it's going at $180.00 w/o the reserve being met. That seems a little steep for the MOBO, but I assume it's a rare breed. Couldn't I do as well with an amd tbird barebones system?
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

hmm..

well if you want to switch to a Tbird config you need to get the CPU, a good CPU cooler, mobo, and an AMD approved PSU.

let's say you get an Tbird 1GHz - $155
    Good CPU cooler - $15
    AMD approved 300W PSU - $60
    Asus A7V133a mobo -$125

you ccan see it's not cheap too..

another option would be to go with the SH6 and a stronger slot1 CPU (PIII 800 is around $160 incl fan) and will not require replacing the PSU.

another option is buying the SH6 now withou any cpu upgrade and later buy a Slot1-> PPGA370 adapter and use the strongest PIII available .

(all prices are retail - you can find cheaper..)

if you have tha money to spend I would recommend the Tbird config.

if not go with the SH6 - that way you can upgrade your machine in the future (up to 1 GHz) and still enjoy the modeern I815 Chipset with UDMA100...

Good luck

Red face

Just so you all know out there the sh6 seems to be discontinued and unavailable. I guess I should have gotten the one on ebay it went for 180. However a tbird is probably the way to go.