pc hangs with norton av installed

Thread: pc hangs with norton av installed

Question pc hangs with norton av installed

customer's pc hangs after logging on to network screen, but goes into safemode with no problem. He is running win98 with norton system works and norton firewall. I went into msconfig and shut off all the starup items, and it still hung. I've never like nsw so I uninstalled it(it was 2001 anyway) and the pc works like a charm. So I tried to install norton av 2003 and upon reboot it hangs at the same place. I uninstalled 2003 and the pc works fine. Symantec's support site says to uninstall using their removal program which I did, but when i try to install 2003 it hangs after reboot. I have to go into safemode, uninstall 2003, and then windows is ok. Up until a couple of days ago norton was ok on this machine. i checked it for virus's online and it is clean. Ideas?
    "You've been livin' on the razor's edge, since you began to shave...
    Make sure you live, you're a long time dead, cradle to the grave"-Motorhead

I'm having an almost identical issues with 2 machines running McAfee. I have a support ticket opened with them, but so far no good answers. They had me do a manual uninstall of the software, getting rid of registry keys and all then reinstalling, but that didn't help. One is on a brand new load of win2k sp3.

You might see if there are manual uninstall instructions on Norton's site...didn't help my issue, but might yours!

Good luck, if you get it figured out, let me know...different vendors, but could be a similar solution!

It might be one of their DAT file updates that is breaking it. I've had them change some DLL files in the updates that broke all my windows 2000 and NT pcs.
    "Don't be so humble - you are not that great." - Golda Meir

Cool

I got curious today so I installed a different av, antivir, just to see what would happen. It is working ok, so I am thinking norton is having a problem with some other software on this machine. I'm still plugging away on it.
    After I installed this software and ran a full scan it found a virus in temp internet folder, a trojan called noclose. Odd that the online norton scanner didn't find it but who knows. I like this program since it is free but I wish it did incoming email scan like norton's.

I don't have a suggestion for the NAV problem, but I've seen instances with McAfee where they put something funky into DOS startup that caused machines to lock before loading into Windows. Renaming autoexec.bat and config.sys fixed them for me, maybe give that a try since you probably don't need any of the DOS stuff anyways.

Good luck
    Perseverance in all matters.

Quote Originally Posted by cabal
    I got curious today so I installed a different av, antivir, just to see what would happen. It is working ok, so I am thinking norton is having a problem with some other software on this machine. I'm still plugging away on it.
    After I installed this software and ran a full scan it found a virus in temp internet folder, a trojan called noclose. Odd that the online norton scanner didn't find it but who knows. I like this program since it is free but I wish it did incoming email scan like norton's.
    Just a quick note Cabal: AVG is free and does scan emails. I have found Snorton to be a problem on a lot of PC's.

Last Norton I could live with was NAV2000, but it quit updating itself early this year, so I got System Works 2002 which exibits your symptoms. I believe it is due to Script problems and in particular Norton's Script Blocking. With that on it would break immeadiately if not sooner, with it off it would last a week at best before it would not download new virus definitions which required removing all Norton and reinstalling everything again - each week. At 19.2 I can't be downloading 30 megs of upgrades to Norton every week plus the hassle of it all - I round filed Norton, problem solved.

I solved the problem by getting the customer to upgrade to winxp. Now everything is working fine, installed norton av2003 and zonealarm and it is much more stable anyway.
    Kind of like killing a mosquito with a sledge hammer, but the customer is satisfied.