Random Shutdowns/Reboots Gateway Solo

Thread: Random Shutdowns/Reboots Gateway Solo

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar

Random Shutdowns/Reboots Gateway Solo

Hi,

I have a Gateway Solo 1400 that is experiencing random reboots/shutdowns. I have been trying to find a common link to the problem and I haven't been able to do so.

Note: The shutdown is not like a WinXP reboot. Automatic reboot on system error is not activated. Indeed, when the crash occurs, usually the system will not POST until it is shut off for a small amount of time.

I first suspected a power problem -- battery issue or what not. I ran it on AC power only; it would reboot. I ran it on battery only; it would reboot.

The customer was connected directly to the Internet and this was about the time that the first DCOM vulnerability was making the rounds. So, I patched it and things quieted down for a few weeks.

It started happening again around the second pass of the DCOM vulnerability. I had the customer patch it, but the symptoms continued. This time I picked up the system and brought it to my shop. (I usually work on-site.) I ran the system for nearly two days on their AC adapter, on my network, but behind a firewall. I theorized that something might be happening because he's directly connected.

So, I put a loaner router in between the computer and the Internet to narrow that out.

There were no problems for a day. Now it's happening again.

The type of crash seems like a hardware problem -- maybe heat as the customer works in an environment that is not very cool. But ... I am not sure anymore. He's not doing anything odd on the computer. Usually when this happens, he has a couple of IE windows open and, perhaps OE. Plus, I've seen this happen with my own eyes, so I can't say the customer is _accidentally_ holding down the power button for six seconds! ;-)

Any thoughts?

m
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Have you opened the system and checked for fans that aren't spinning, tested the power supply, tested the memory, and looked for spyware? Just a couple of quick thoughts to try or maybe you already tried.

I have seen this same problem with deskto system many a time. The biggest culprit has been bad memory. Hope this helps.
    Growing up I've spent half of my money on Fast cars, fast women and Booze the other half I just wasted!

With the system shutting down, I'd probably say more of a power supply or motherboard issue rather than RAM or any kind of spyware or virus. Or atleast that's what I see more dealing this this type of issue.

Ran the latest stinger and see if you find anything.
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger

Heat is definitely an issue for a laptop when it stays on for a long period of time.