[RESOLVED] The mouse and the computer older than Adam

Thread: [RESOLVED] The mouse and the computer older than Adam

furlong47

Post The mouse and the computer older than Adam

I'm trying to install a new mouse for the priest I'm renting from. His computer is ancient 486 running Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and the mouse is a Microsoft Basic 2 button mouse on COM1. The computer has no PS-2 mouse port so a PS-2 to 9 pin serial adapter is being used. The computer continues to identify its old mouse, a logitech which no longer works. When I change it to anything else in system settings it reverts back to the logitech. I tried the basic mouse drivers from this site, and when I tried to install them it said no device was connected. The computer also has an available 15 pin serial connection that I can use if necessary, I just don't have an adapter handy.
    Any help is apreciated. It's been ages since I used anything other than Windows 95 or 98, especially with only the keyboard

------------------
    "640 K ought to be enough for anybody."
    --Bill Gates, 1981

Amateur Radio Callsign KB3FHH

I've seen this one before. Just about any other PS/2 mouse works with a PS/2 to 9 pin adaptor ... but NOT a Microsoft mouse. Still, any old 5 dollar mouse should fix the problem. Sorry I can't suggest a cheaper fix.
    (don't laugh, 5 bucks is serious money to me ..lol)
    I think I know just enough to know how much I don't know... I think...

furlong47

Are you certain? The adapter came with the mouse. Would it be possible to use the 15 pin serial port?

------------------
    --Bill Gates, 1981

Mustang

have you tried checking the bottom of the mouse
    some of the basic ones have a switch that you have to change to use it in a serial port.

------------------
    Directions???? What are directions?????

b_fleury

I've had big time problems getting ps/2 to serial connectors to work. The only ones that ever seem to work are the ones bundled with the logitech mice.

Btw- never heard of a 15 pin serial port.

furlong47

My bad, it's the game/joystick port, 15 pins...sometimes I doubt my alertness...anyway, I have a true serial mouse at home which I think I'm going to try because obviously this adapter is causing problems.

------------------
    --Bill Gates, 1981