Toshiba Tecra Video problem

Thread: Toshiba Tecra Video problem

Toshiba Tecra Video problem

Hi y'all. I got a Toshiba Tecra 8100 on which the "backlight" (?) keeps going dim. Basically completely black, but if you look close, you can make out the desktop and mouse pointer. Sometimes it happens immediately after getting into Windows, other times it may not do it at all. Also happens in BIOS if I leave it. Seems to happen more often than not when using the AC adapter but it also occurs on battery power.

Toshiba replaced the whole screen and inverter board last week. I thought for sure that would fix it but no luck. I have to send it back again, but I thought someone out here might be able to help and avoid more trouble.
    Last edited by Darkstar; September 23rd, 2003 at 02:32 PM.
    Do You Realize? - that you have the most beautiful face
    Do You Realize? - we're floating in space -
    Do You Realize? - that happiness makes you cry
    Do You Realize? - that everyone you know someday will die

toshiba has a tech bulliten on that issue. its not available for the general public to see only service personel.

its just a bad connection between the inverter and the lcd. fix is to clean the contacts on the inverter with a anti-oxidant/contact cleaner. My guess is that unless you sent the unit directly to toshiba, the service center that you sent it to just replaced the lcd and re-seated the fl inverter. if you get it back and it still behaves this way, depress the cover sensor switch and release it. if the backlight comes on, then this is definatly the problem. Pull the lcd apart yourself and clean the fl inverter contacts yourself. quicker and probably cheaper when you factor in downtime.

if the service dept is giving you hassels about this, tell them to look up fsb200123. they should know what it is if they are an authorised service provider.

Shoulda known, DA you da man for what ails my Toshibas. That would definitely explain the intermittence of the problem too.

Never opened up an LCD - think I'll give it a try when I get home. Anything I should watch out for or recognize when I get in there? Do I have to take the whole case apart?

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send some info your way

Got some contact cleaner at Radio Shack and did what was in the article. Worked better, but still started happening after about an hour. I figure I'll just send it back to them while it's still under warranty. I'll tell them about that article, though. I think that whole connector piece needs to be replaced.

Thanks again!!!!

Just got it back again - working fine. They replaced the LCD and the converter again and this time the mobo as well. Glad the company I got this from got 3 year warranties on all their stuff.

Thanks for your help, DA

How to get to the FL inverter?

Hello - I hope you are still out there. I have the same intermittent
    problem with my 8100 screen getting dark - then i have to press the
    sensor pin to make it come on again. I want to try to clean the
    FL inverter contacts but I do not know how to open the laptop to do it.
    Would you (or anyone here) be so kind as to tell me how to do it.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar
    Shoulda known, DA you da man for what ails my Toshibas. That would definitely explain the intermittence of the problem too.

Never opened up an LCD - think I'll give it a try when I get home. Anything I should watch out for or recognize when I get in there? Do I have to take the whole case apart?

Question How to get to the FL inverter?

Would you please tell me how to open the laptop so I can
    get to the FL converter to clean the contacts? Thank you
    very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Damned Angel
    toshiba has a tech bulliten on that issue. its not available for the general public to see only service personel.

its just a bad connection between the inverter and the lcd. fix is to clean the contacts on the inverter with a anti-oxidant/contact cleaner. My guess is that unless you sent the unit directly to toshiba, the service center that you sent it to just replaced the lcd and re-seated the fl inverter. if you get it back and it still behaves this way, depress the cover sensor switch and release it. if the backlight comes on, then this is definatly the problem. Pull the lcd apart yourself and clean the fl inverter contacts yourself. quicker and probably cheaper when you factor in downtime.

if the service dept is giving you hassels about this, tell them to look up fsb200123. they should know what it is if they are an authorised service provider.

The service manuals are available for purchase on ebay
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."