Problem with GHOST 2003

Thread: Problem with GHOST 2003

Problem with GHOST 2003

Just a quick question guys: What does the following error message mean in ghost 2003 (dos version) "No valid source drive available" when i try to image my partition? It worked not long ago so this is kind of sudden. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm booting off disk and then running ghost from my FAT partition, which is usually second to my NTFS partition, running windows 2000, in case you were wondering.

That would appear to indicate it cannot find a partition or drive to image.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    That would appear to indicate it cannot find a partition or drive to image.
    ... You aren't doing it 'over' itself are you ? Source & destination must be different ...

Come on guys, we're all pro's here, give me the hard answers, not the things i tried already before comin here The partition works great, I mean it boots and i'm running ghost off my FAT32 partition, and i'm not trying to run it over itself because i cant even get far enough to select partitions! as soon as i select "From Partition" it comes up with the error. Sorry guys, this one's getting me worked up for some reason, please help

Quote Originally Posted by G Man
    i'm running ghost off my FAT32 partition
    You can't Ghost partition to partition on the same drive is what's being said...and you'd be better off booting from a Ghost boot disk anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus
    You can't Ghost partition to partition on the same drive is what's being said...and you'd be better off booting from a Ghost boot disk anyway.

Ok then, fair enough... but if this is the case, why can i still do so on my sisters computer (two partitions, same drive, one ntfs one fat32) and why could I do it on my computer until recently? Have symantec been releasing self-installing updates that work behind your back to make it's programs less functional? :P

That is a good question. I thought I saw in Symantec's knowledge base that you could not do this on the same physical drive; it is like a snake swallowing it's own tail.
    "You've been livin' on the razor's edge, since you began to shave...
    Make sure you live, you're a long time dead, cradle to the grave"-Motorhead

Quote Originally Posted by cabal
    That is a good question. I thought I saw in Symantec's knowledge base that you could not do this on the same physical drive; it is like a snake swallowing it's own tail.
    you have to have a separate drive. can't be on another partition on same drive, or you can ghost to cdr-cdrw. It would be cool to ghost to same drive but not happening now.
    "Everybody needs a little help sometimes"

Okey -dokey -show me something that says you can't - 'cos I just did !

Quote Originally Posted by shamus
    Errr umm is this right ? - Methinks it ain't ! you can't ghost from one partition to another - so why not then ??? & what's this then ? Symantec help

... & just to prove that I'm not being confus-ed, I tried it ! - works here ! ...

(but I will say that booting from a seperate disk instead of the partition you want to copy is better )
    Last edited by confus-ed; September 25th, 2003 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Errr umm is this right ? - Methinks it ain't ! you can't ghost from one partition to another - so why not then ??? & what's this then ? Symantec help

... & just to prove that I'm not being confus-ed, I tried it ! - works here ! ...

(but I will say that booting from a seperate disk instead of the partition you want to copy is better )
    To clarify my point..
    look at this

"Ghost displays this message when the location you selected for saving the image file is on the same physical disk that you selected to be imaged. This normally happens when you have only one physical drive on the computer. In this situation, you are attempting to save the contents of the drive on the drive itself. Ghost cannot create an image of a drive, and then save the image file on the drive being imaged.

To save an image of a computer's physical disk, the computer must have a second physical disk or other suitable media for saving the image file, such as a Jaz disk, Zip disk, or access to a drive on another computer. Image files can also be saved to CD-ROM, but only by saving them elsewhere first, then moving the files to the CD-ROM.

If you have a single hard drive with multiple partitions, you can create a partition image instead of a disk image and save it on another partition on the same physical hard drive."

Okay, great.... I am trying to do partition to partition and it tells me theres no source drive available BEFORE i can choose sources or locations.... in case anyone was wondering, the error code is "11032" and this site (in another language) might explain it but i dunno coz i cant read it! http://www.searchengines.pl/phpbb203...showtopic=4416

Nope ... I can't read it either ! What's that Polish ? (if someone knows what language, maybe we can put it through a translator page) - but that's if it helps !

BTW This -
    (has got to be a mutant ? surley - that's one f. ugly baby ! )

But since you seem to have a 'real' error message - 11032 - try e-mailing symantec & see if they know what it means ? (there's nothing like stating the obvious - nothing comes up on any search I do) & we have tried add/remove to eliminate a screwey install ?

If you've created any of these partitions (or resized etc) any way other than with FDisk, Ghost will 'chuck a mental' ... maybe that's it ?

Yeah, i do do a lot of buggering around on my computer, could've been something like that, i was just hoping someone would know what so i could fix it! Heh.... I'll give symantec a yell and see what they say, thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by G Man
    Okay, great.... I am trying to do partition to partition and it tells me theres no source drive available BEFORE i can choose sources or locations.... in case anyone was wondering, the error code is "11032" and this site (in another language) might explain it but i dunno coz i cant read it! http://www.searchengines.pl/phpbb203...showtopic=4416
    BEFORE indicates to me that Ghost is loading with switches and I've had the 'wrong' switches added for me, by Ghost, so you might want to check that angle out? I can see where you can't go from/to the same drive with a whole drive image, but does that also apply to the partition only type of image file? I would think image to partition from a different partition would be OK, but I've yet to get my RW-CDROM to complete one successful image as yet, so I'm no authority by far. Saving up for a LiteOn, too many other things needing my money.