Firewall + Antivirus Appliance

Thread: Firewall + Antivirus Appliance

Firewall + Antivirus Appliance

I'm shopping for a firewall appliance for a small/medium organization (about 30 users and growing). We were looking at a Watchguard Firebox 700, which looks great, but I would really like something that I could add antivirus filtering to. I'm looking into the new Symantec offering, but that's a little too new for me to be comfortable offering.

What have you all used to this effect? I'd like to implement a multi-layered approach to my AV defense as soon as possible. Thanks!

Watchguard has a antivirus option with McAfee. The watchguard will download the updates and will not allow workstations out unless they are updated. I like the product. Check it out, http://www.watchguard.com/products/options.asp. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dddwarp
    Watchguard has a antivirus option with McAfee. The watchguard will download the updates and will not allow workstations out unless they are updated. I like the product. Check it out, http://www.watchguard.com/products/options.asp. Thanks!

You see, that is what I was talking about.
    Way to go ddd.
    This looks like something I need for a soho environment I am working on.
    I have also checked out the new Linksys VPN router on their site.
    But it is sooo new, I would hate to be the one to find problems with it.

thanks for the tip, ddd. I hadn't yet found anyone else who had used the ASaP product from McAfee. What did you mean when you said it "will not allow workstations out unless they are updated"? What can you say about the product as compared to Symantec AV corporate?

Quote Originally Posted by tk421
    thanks for the tip, ddd. I hadn't yet found anyone else who had used the ASaP product from McAfee. What did you mean when you said it "will not allow workstations out unless they are updated"? What can you say about the product as compared to Symantec AV corporate?
    I am not sure about Symantec's firewall. I have never installed one but I looked at their webite and they seem to be a decent appliance for the price. But they did not have a virus protection system built into with the firewall. It seems to talk about some protection against viruses on the firewall. But the "free" virus protection was their regular client product. The firewall has nothing todo with virus protection on the workstation. To have a centrally controlled enterprise wide solution, you would need to have the corporate edition. (which I like allot but you basiclly you need a server).

About Watchguard, I was mistaken about the McAfee ASaP product. It handles the virus protection a little different. Once you register, you get a link to McAfee to download the client. The client automaticly is allowed out to their web-site and is updated every 24hrs. But their is no central management of virus protection.

The product I was thinking of was a Sonic Wall (I used to install both the Sonic Wall and Watchguard and I sometimes get them confued, they both used McAfee). You set up a range of IPs that is allowed to go out without the virus client installed or is updated. If a workstation does not have the client, it shows a web page to download it (I think, it was last year that I installed aplliances, I work on Cisco PIXs currently). You click, the client get downloaded and updated and then you can proceed to the internet. It checks all clients out to the net, if it needs to updated, it updates it. The problem, you must have client licenses (more money). Also, once you use a license, it is used until you free it up. When you run out of licenses and an IP is in that range that needs to have a client, they will not be allow out on the net. I installed several last year and I thought it was cool. Check it out: http://www.sonicwall.com/support/pdf...Anti-Virus.pdf
    I do like both the Sonic Walls and Watchguards as appliances. Thanks!
    Last edited by dddwarp; October 3rd, 2003 at 03:24 PM.