Sad micro$oft story

Thread: Sad micro$oft story

Sad micro$oft story

Installed winxp home on a new client computer dedicated to replace his win98 server.
    After installing it in his office, the computer did not let more than 5 users use his files.....
    So bought the client win98 and everything looks fine.
    Called microsoft and ask to resolve the activation problem, they said the this OS needs to be installed and DIE only with the computer it was installed on AARRGGHH!!!.
    Wasted few days try to solve this out.
    I bought a NEW computer so i can image the win98 to the new and installed the %$# XP home to the original computer it was installed on.
    What can you say about that ?

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Quote Originally Posted by HipHoper
    Installed winxp home on a new client computer dedicated to replace his win98 server.
    After installing it in his office, the computer did not let more than 5 users use his files.....
    So bought the client win98 and everything looks fine.
    Called microsoft and ask to resolve the activation problem, they said the this OS needs to be installed and DIE only with the computer it was installed on AARRGGHH!!!.
    Wasted few days try to solve this out.
    I bought a NEW computer so i can image the win98 to the new and installed the %$# XP home to the original computer it was installed on.
    What can you say about that ?
    You could have exercised your downgrade rights for the WinXP and just installed win98 with any old key you could find.

Is that also true for office ?

Quote Originally Posted by techs
    You could have exercised your downgrade rights for the WinXP and just installed win98 with any old key you could find.
    I mean that if you buy office xp pro and want to install office 2000 pro, is the license is ok for that ?
    Thanks

I mean that if you buy office xp pro and want to install office 2000 pro, is the license is ok for that ?
    Thanks
    We do that here at work, but then again, we purchased the MS-Select licensing....

The Off XP license then covers a the new installs of Off 2k and Off 97 (when we need it).
    It is too late to fix America via the Republicans or Democrats, and too early to start shooting the bastards.

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis

WOTPP Light Air Support Wing

This is by design. If you read the license agreement you can see that there is a limitation for the number of connections. The "server" version has no problems though.
    According to M$, OEM versions of software are indeed supposed to be installed only on the original machine they were supplied with; the "retail" versions don't have this legal limitation...
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by techs
    Windows XP home doesn't offer downgrade rights, only XP Pro

As far as OEM Offices, can't downgrade at all.

I know nothing about select license, but I am sure you guys have your ducks in a row...

XP pro will allow more than 5 connections to it.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Quote Originally Posted by Gollo
    XP pro will allow more than 5 connections to it.
    10 connections maximum for any NT/2000/XP Pro workstation OS.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

Cool

Windows XP Home = 5 concurrent connections
    Windows XP Pro = 10 concurrent connections
    Windows 2000 Pro = 10 concurrent connections

There is a known issue with Windows XP machines connecting to a Windows 98 "Server". If data is being accessed on the Windows 98 machine by the Windows XP machine/machines, there is a possibility of data corruption.

After Digging around for a while in all that OEM Licensing stuff, I found something interesting. The license is not actually tied to the computer, but more specifically, the motherboard. So Upgrade the MB and you are out of luck, time to buy a new License. Of course, I have always been wanting to ask the question, what if my MB dies and I get a "like" item that is not the exact same model. Do I still need to purchase a new license?

Just something to Ponder.....
    You Know!?!.....That Little Button that SAYS "Start" in the lower left hand corner!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mrl1te
    After Digging around for a while in all that OEM Licensing stuff, I found something interesting. The license is not actually tied to the computer, but more specifically, the motherboard. So Upgrade the MB and you are out of luck, time to buy a new License. Of course, I have always been wanting to ask the question, what if my MB dies and I get a "like" item that is not the exact same model. Do I still need to purchase a new license?

No you could call Microsoft and let them activate it over the phone, just tell them you had a crash and had to reinstall... They should do it without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mrl1te

Actually, that's ALMOST correct.

The purchase of an OEM version requires a qualifying hardware purchase, once that hardware is installed into a system the license then becomes tied to the system, not the hardware purchased. So yes, you can buy Windows XP with a motherboard or processor, install that component into a system and install your OEM copy of XP, then replace that specific component immediately without invalidating the OEM license. But the license remains with the system - you can't pull the mobo and put it into a second PC and have the OEM license follow with it.

Assuming that you were indeed silly (or desperate!) enough to do this, you might run into product activation issues ... but that's an issue for an entirely different discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by rgharper
    Actually, that's ALMOST correct.

The purchase of an OEM version requires a qualifying hardware purchase, once that hardware is installed into a system the license then becomes tied to the system, not the hardware purchased. So yes, you can buy Windows XP with a motherboard or processor, install that component into a system and install your OEM copy of XP, then replace that specific component immediately without invalidating the OEM license. But the license remains with the system - you can't pull the mobo and put it into a second PC and have the OEM license follow with it.

Assuming that you were indeed silly (or desperate!) enough to do this, you might run into product activation issues ... but that's an issue for an entirely different discussion.
    Found it! at the following address for those of you that Have OEM Membership:

http://oem.microsoft.com/worldwide/script/517169.asp

For those who do not, this is quoted from Microsoft on the OEM System Builder Website Q & A Section:

What hardware modifications may be made before a PC is considered to be "new" and a new operating system license is required? The OEM operating system must remain with the device that retains the motherboard. Other PC components (such as RAM and hard drive) may be upgraded without requiring a new operating system license. The operating system may be installed on a new/replacement hard drive as long as the operating system is first removed from the old hard drive.

The right to legally transfer OEM software with a used PC is derived from the EULA. It is an end user right and must be transferred with the original software media, COA, Media, and manuals (if any) and EULA. The end user does not keep copies of the software. If the PC is sold (i.e. transferred) to a system builder (with the original software media, manuals {if applicable}, COA, and EULA), system builders may redistribute them since the end-user transferability right is perpetual.

So, you may purchase the license with a "Non-Peripheral" Piece of Hardware as stated by Microsoft, but once installed it becomes tied to the system, more specifically as stated above the "Motherboard".

Now, if you were to call to re-activate your copy of windows, that would actually be illegal since you would have replaced the Piece tied to the License. Again, I wonder what they would say about replacing the MB with a "Like" Model? BTW, MS Reps at Conferences used to state it was tied to the Case the computer was sold in since that is where the COA is attached, but they have since rethought this due to the fact that cases are more versatile than the MB.

The link to the page above describes in some detail what is and what is not considered a refurbished PC and when to purchase a new license, so read all about it.
    Last edited by mrl1te; October 4th, 2003 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Clarification and Spelling
    You Know!?!.....That Little Button that SAYS "Start" in the lower left hand corner!

Thank you for your excellent ducumented answer

Finally i bought a new computer to the client i installed the xp and needed to remove it, and GHOSTED the system i took from him with an image i kept after activation, and it seems to work fine.
    Sad story, Happy end :O)