Rush Limbaugh Resigns Over Racial Comments - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rush Limbaugh Resigns Over Racial Comments

Banned
    Well, isn't that a mean thing to say about her/

makes me loose heh?

I resemble that remark
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

I only listened to limbau a few times but he left me with the impression of a guy overcompensating for being the little fat kid in school. He didn't argue his points but seem to be "picking on" people he didn't agree with.

The problem here is that you can't seem to say anything even related to race without someone screaming racist.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Quote Originally Posted by silencio
    I only listened to limbau a few times but he left me with the impression of a guy overcompensating for being the little fat kid in school. He didn't argue his points but seem to be "picking on" people he didn't agree with.

The problem here is that you can't seem to say anything even related to race without someone screaming racist.
    Yup, he does love to pick at the democrats and liberals and it is annoying. I think that's all a lot of people hear, the insulting part, thus they hate him. Stern's got the same thing going on, he p!$$e$ people off and people hate him. Funny thing is that it's the people spouting on about how discrimination and hatred are evil that seem to hate these people. Dunno.

You are right about about not being able to talk about race. It's assinine and it's hindering the process of getting everyone to look at one another as humans and not as blacks, whites, reds and yellows. The more we talk the more we understand or at the least begin to accept difference.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Believe it or not, I agree with Ya_Know.
    What he said should have been a topic for debate, especially from Irvin and Jackson on the same show.
    What were they thinking and why didn't they say anything?
    Check Bermans comments and he also agrees this was blown out of proportion.
    Also, turns out Rush might be a drug addict:
    http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news...aughdrugs.html
    I wonder if Rush will be going to real "don't drop the soap" jail, like some black kid who gets busted for possession, or get the white boy, ahh poor little addict, slap on the hand?
    Last edited by techguy13; October 2nd, 2003 at 12:34 PM.
    No need to be concerned. The voices in my head assure me I am completely sane.

"Dammit Jim I’m a Star Ship surgeon not the free clinic."

Quote Originally Posted by techguy13
    I wonder if Rush will be going to real "don't drop the soap" jail, like some black kid who gets busted for possession, or get the white boy, ahh poor little addict, slap on the hand?
    That's a racist remark! I demand you take that back!

i agree with Rush, McNab is an over rated quarterback but it has nothing to do with him being black. the race stuff shouldn't be an issue.
    take care and tempt not the fates

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    Yup, he does love to pick at the democrats and liberals and it is annoying. I think that's all a lot of people hear, the insulting part, thus they hate him. Stern's got the same thing going on, he p!$$e$ people off and people hate him. Funny thing is that it's the people spouting on about how discrimination and hatred are evil that seem to hate these people. Dunno.

You are right about about not being able to talk about race. It's assinine and it's hindering the process of getting everyone to look at one another as humans and not as blacks, whites, reds and yellows. The more we talk the more we understand or at the least begin to accept difference.
    Amen to that.

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    I remember the great white hype debate of the late 70's and early 80's in regards to Larry Bird. After Bird proved himself the debate went away, but there was never much fervor caused by it.

It seems that every few years some "celebrity" makes an asinine remark and pays for it. Jimmy "The Greek", Howard Cosell (but he reveled in it), The LA Dodgers GM several years ago (can't remember his name), just to name a few.

It has always struck me as ironic that when asinine comments are made by people such as Don Baylor, Spike Lee, Jesse Jackson these are more or less ignored or deemed not inflammatory, but if these same vein comments are made by others then Katy bar the door your a racist, etc.

I'm not a PC person. I believe in speaking your mind and "telling it like it is", but more often than not tact and common sense should be the overriding factors. I've listened to Limbaugh over the years (not so much in the last 4 years) and I have found that he says things not so much as the spur of the moment, but to provoke a reaction. In his element on radio he controls the kill button and can make any kind of spin he wishes. In the TV medium he does not have that control ergo that is why I think he has failed in establishing himself on TV. As has been pointed out by those who have seen the clip or watched it aired he wasn't inflammatory in his discussion, but in his characteristic style he just came off as a rube. As I said I was surprised that Tom Jackson or Michael Irvin just sat there, but again there hasn't been a punch out on ESPN since Jim Everett decked Jim Rome several years ago.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Thumbs up

"It has always struck me as ironic that when asinine comments are made by people such as Don Baylor, Spike Lee, Jesse Jackson these are more or less ignored or deemed not inflammatory, but if these same vein comments are made by others then Katy bar the door your a racist, etc."
    Ditto.....
    I was going to say that earlier, but after reading through all the Cleetus/Silencio/Ya_Know political debate over in the Tonight thread, I thought perhaps I shouldn't. This stuff: Racial Politics is along the lines of Politics and Religion when it comes to debate:
    Noone wins, everyone gets angry.
    PS
    Peter Angelo? Dodgers GM?
    How boot what Dusty Baker had to say about black athletes this year?
    Geez, imagine if Bobby Cox had said that.
    Actually, forget aboot that, lets start a Religion debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Kong
    As I said I was surprised that Tom Jackson or Michael Irvin just sat there, but again there hasn't been a punch out on ESPN since Jim Everett decked Jim Rome several years ago.
    Don't you mean Chris Everett?!!

That was hilarious.
    Wives are like jobs,

It's easier to find one when you already have one

Quote Originally Posted by Major Kong

It has always struck me as ironic that when asinine comments are made by people such as Don Baylor, Spike Lee, Jesse Jackson these are more or less ignored or deemed not inflammatory, but if these same vein comments are made by others then Katy bar the door your a racist, etc.

exactly

why wasn't this big a stink made a few years ago when Bonzi Wells called the Dallas Mavericks a "bunch of soft white boys"
    take care and tempt not the fates

"Look at that Monkey Run!" Man, I remember that. Maybe Cosell was actually a radical Christian and making fun of that runner because he was a believer in evolution? ..kind of a like science discrimination ...naaaa

Just to set the record straight, here is exactly what he said on ESPN:

On Sunday, Limbaugh said, "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. ... There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

He was (partially) on the right track. The reality is that a change has occured in the game of professional football. Gone are the days of the pure pocket passer. Gone are the days of the QB being the single more important element on the field. The NFL has been losing fans to the NBA and WWF for the last few years and is trying to recover it's audience by presenting a more diverse and "hipper" sport to it's viewers. The only difference I would have with Rush is that I don't think this change is politically motivated as much as it is financially motivated.

In any event I don't see the comment as being racist or racially motivated. I think the reason why Rush resigned so quickly (and I think ESPN would have kept him on if he wanted to stay) is that Rush wants to preserve a second chance at a much bigger gig, like Fox Sports or Monday Night Football.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

In another bizarre turn of events I ALSO agree with Ya_know. Limbaugh says a hell of a lot of stuff that stirs up hornets... but in this case, he really hasn't done anything to deserve the bullcrap the media is giving him.

Of course, seeing as he has gotten away with saying so many things that actually ARE offensive, plus I think he is an idiot, I don't mind seeing him go down in flames... it's just annoying that its for such a stupid reason, when there are so many legitimate reasons it COULD be for instead...
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!