Hi there,

I am having a problem installing nortons antivirus 2003 on my computer. During the installation it returns the following error:

Error 1301. Cannot create the file ." A Directory with this name already exists. Cancel the installation and try installing it to a different location.

Now you can either abort this or ignore it. Aborting it rolls back the installation and ignoring it carries on with the installation, however, after the reboot nortons will not start and returns an error. This error relates to corrupted files being: ccIMScan.dll and DefAlert.dll.

I have tried to copy these files from another working installation, but still the same error. I have removed the installation countless times using both Windows uninstaller and RNAV2003.

I have tried reinstalling windows over itself, however this did not help. I tried installing IE6, but I receive an error after the reboot mentioning that the following files are corrupt: tdc.ocx and vgx.dll

I have recompiled the registry by exporting it and rebuilding it using regedit /c, this also did not help. A new installation of Windows into a different folder works, but it does not solve my problem with the old version of windows.

Any ideas on this problem? The OS is Windows 98 Second Edition.

Thanks in advance.