Norton Antivirus 2003 Install Problems

Thread: Norton Antivirus 2003 Install Problems

Hybrid View

Norton Antivirus 2003 Install Problems

Hi there,

I am having a problem installing nortons antivirus 2003 on my computer. During the installation it returns the following error:

Error 1301. Cannot create the file ." A Directory with this name already exists. Cancel the installation and try installing it to a different location.

Now you can either abort this or ignore it. Aborting it rolls back the installation and ignoring it carries on with the installation, however, after the reboot nortons will not start and returns an error. This error relates to corrupted files being: ccIMScan.dll and DefAlert.dll.

I have tried to copy these files from another working installation, but still the same error. I have removed the installation countless times using both Windows uninstaller and RNAV2003.

I have tried reinstalling windows over itself, however this did not help. I tried installing IE6, but I receive an error after the reboot mentioning that the following files are corrupt: tdc.ocx and vgx.dll

I have recompiled the registry by exporting it and rebuilding it using regedit /c, this also did not help. A new installation of Windows into a different folder works, but it does not solve my problem with the old version of windows.

Any ideas on this problem? The OS is Windows 98 Second Edition.

Thanks in advance.

Have you install to a different directory? Do you think it has a virus already? Sounds like you have covered all of the bases, except format /s. Keystone

Quote Originally Posted by keystone
    Have you install to a different directory? Do you think it has a virus already? Sounds like you have covered all of the bases, except format /s. Keystone
    Yeah I did try that, both to a diff folder on the C Drive and to a different folder on D Drive.

Thanks NooNoo, I will try that out. Holding thumbs it works

^ Nope still the same problem.
    Last edited by doug072; October 3rd, 2003 at 01:59 AM.

was norton partially installed when you ran the msi update?

Also run the msi update in safemode.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The MSI update was installed with Nortons uninstalled. Ok, I did not do the update in safe mode, time to roll back to the old registry

Nope, still the same problem.
    Last edited by doug072; October 4th, 2003 at 03:40 AM.

Its a long shot but try searching the registry for every entry of "Symantec" and "Norton" and deleting it.

I have had this work for me under similar circumstances.

Might want to backup the registry first and be prepared to reinstall any other Symantec product.
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

This is actually a windows installer error.

Try downloading and running this then have another go at installing it.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    This is actually a windows installer error.

Try downloading and running this then have another go at installing it.
    Instead of version 1.1, you might want to try version 2? The switches below will force it to at least renew it's own files which is almost as good as uninstalling and reinstalling?

InstMsiA.exe /T:c:\msi\ /C
    Thanks for the switches go to Symantec

I find that in order to get rid of Norton I have to use Find files for both 'nort' and 'syman', then a good registry cleaner and all this after I run norton's uninstall and their special 'get rid of me' app. NooNoo is on the right track I believe, some .msi files think that they are running from the Windows\Installer folder when they are not and visa versa sometimes. Go to that folder and right click some of those files for right click choices you won't believe. Also hit Properties for the low down on just what the msi or msp is about.

Quote Originally Posted by melee5
    Instead of version 1.1, you might want to try version 2? ...
    1.1 is for 95/98 & 2 is for xp/w2k ...

M$ installer (MSI) issues are a pain in the butt ... you need to have a fully patched up system before you install anything - stuff 'erroneously' installed while all the patches aren't present can present difficulties in subsequent re-installs.

err, um, I think 2.0 is only 95, 98, ME. Sorry, Confus_ed, if I were you, I would use the "It's very late in the UK" excuse... even if it is not.
    What evil lurks in the hearts of computers? Only The Noo Noo knows!!!