Losing mapped drives after Active Directory was implemented

Thread: Losing mapped drives after Active Directory was implemented

Losing mapped drives after Active Directory was implemented

It's weird. After we got Active Directoy going our XP users are now periodically losing their mapped connections.
    It's not from being timed out. I've already taken care of that.
    Any info you might have would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Hank

Be more specific. What have you taken care of? Describe the symptom more, is it the red X, the drives disappear? Also, are they home drives?

Hey Hank, welcome to WD.
    Yes more info is necessary, especially about the AD implementation.
    Could that be just a coincidence?
    Check these though:
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/...false&numDays=

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Hey Hank, welcome to WD.
    Yes more info is necessary, especially about the AD implementation.
    Could that be just a coincidence?
    Check these though:
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/...false&numDays=
    Thanks guys.
    Actually, I'm not sure how much more info I can give you. I'm really new to this stuff and I didn't make any of the changes.
    Hopefully I'm saying this right.
    We have two old NT servers that were used primarily as our DNS servers.
    But since we upgraded our PDC to 2000 we have it running as the top heirarchy in our DNS scheme. We've changed the entries to point to our new DC instead of our old DNS servers.
    Eg. Old DNS1 10.10.10.2, Old DNS2 10.10.10.3, New DC 10.10.10.10.
    So now on our DHCP server we have the DNS entry as being 10.10.10.10 instead of the old 10.10.10.2, 10.10.10.3.

And yes they have the mapping still there. They don't have the 'X' accross them but they are unable to get into the drives.
    I looked at the event viewer and there's always three error messages when they lose connection.

1. AutoEnrollment - Automatic certificate for local system failed to contact the active directory. The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
    2. Userenv - Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted). Group policy processing aborted.

I've done the commands to release renew the IP address and ipconfig /flushdns /register dns.

Sorry for being so vague and pretty much ignorant.
    Thanks guys.

Hank

Quote Originally Posted by Hank19
    Thanks guys.
    Actually, I'm not sure how much more info I can give you. I'm really new to this stuff and I didn't make any of the changes.
    Hopefully I'm saying this right.
    We have two old NT servers that were used primarily as our DNS servers.
    But since we upgraded our PDC to 2000 we have it running as the top heirarchy in our DNS scheme. We've changed the entries to point to our new DC instead of our old DNS servers.
    Eg. Old DNS1 10.10.10.2, Old DNS2 10.10.10.3, New DC 10.10.10.10.
    So now on our DHCP server we have the DNS entry as being 10.10.10.10 instead of the old 10.10.10.2, 10.10.10.3.

And yes they have the mapping still there. They don't have the 'X' accross them but they are unable to get into the drives.
    I looked at the event viewer and there's always three error messages when they lose connection.

1. AutoEnrollment - Automatic certificate for local system failed to contact the active directory. The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
    2. Userenv - Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted). Group policy processing aborted.

I've done the commands to release renew the IP address and ipconfig /flushdns /register dns.

Sorry for being so vague and pretty much ignorant.
    Thanks guys.

Hank
    The autoenrollment is looking for an active directory certificate authority, if you dont have a CA or arent planning on using certificates anytime soon i would open group policy managment and edit the default domain controllers policy. Under the security settings in the public key policy folder right click all of them and make sure it is set to do not enroll certificates automatically.

For user env there can be several reasons,

#1 if you blocked icmp on your router for the msblast virus it will stop the group policy processing, I think it tries to ping the domain controller to determine the link speed.

#2 if you do not have the appropriate dns suffix's in your dns settings it will do it, because it will look for pdc1 not pdc1.yourdomain.com. You will need to specify the connection specific and search suffix for your domain.

#3 if yo have names refrenced in the any security policy it will cause this because it cant map the name to an sid.

If you are still running a mixed domain ie NT and 2000 servers or 2000/XP and win9x clients it is very advisable to make sure that wins is properly set up on all machines either ststically or through the DHCP server. On all of the 2000 machines make sure they are registering with the DNS server.

You can also set up your 2000 DNS Server to query wins when it doesnt find a computername in its database. If all else fails try mapping the drive to the ipaddress instead of the computername.

www.eventid.net is very good for finding more possible solutions for troubleshooting eventlog errors, they have a $15 yr membership or you can just search google.com for the KB articles

Quote Originally Posted by Rô©kHøµñÐ
    www.eventid.net is very good for finding more possible solutions for troubleshooting eventlog errors, they have a $15 yr membership or you can just search google.com for the KB articles
    Good for you Rock!!!
    I hope you're not soliciting, and, I don't think you are!!
    Why?
    Good detailed help!!!!
    The hard thing here is:
    they rarely get back to us and let us know how it turned out.
    Darn, that really s#%ks.
    But hey, all we can do is try...
    ...and YOU really have.
    In fact, your post has helped me.
    Thanks.

To add to what's above (becuase it all looks right on) hree things, is your domain controller pointint at itself (does it use it's own address for DNS?) And, is DNS an active directory integrated zone? Finally, if you open the DNS zone for your domain do you see all the stuff below? If you don't have the full msdcs, domains, tcp, udp, and sites folders your missing critical DNS entries. It's a common problem if you're new to DNS.

Last edited by silencio; October 4th, 2003 at 09:09 PM.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!