How to reset tcp/ip in windows xp

Thread: How to reset tcp/ip in windows xp

How to reset tcp/ip in windows xp

mskb 299357-

Has anyone used this successfully? I've never been able to rebuild a TCP/ip stack in windows xp. Do you have to execute the command from safe mode? the recovery console? rub a rabbits foot three times first?

Seriously I've had numerous cases of this with both Aol and MSN screwing up the tcp ip stack and everytime I've had to reload windows from scratch. I tried the command given...

Netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

and

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

it supposedly does everything it is suppose to but still i get the connection fine and email will come down but unable to browse anything.

W/ win9x I almost never had to reload ( I know you could uninstall it that's why ) but winxp both home and pro that has been my only recourse. If others have done it successfully then please tell me what I'm doing wrong...

TIA
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Registered User Rifleman @ Layman's PC's Avatar
    I have had that problem, from AOL and mass amounts of spyware sHtuff. After rebuilding the TCP stack, flushing DNS, and reinstalling SP1, it normally starts working again.
    Those who do not know, are lost...

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman @ Layman's PC
    I have had that problem, from AOL and mass amounts of spyware sHtuff. After rebuilding the TCP stack, flushing DNS, and reinstalling SP1, it normally starts working again.

How do you "flush DNS" ?

And is that on any windows xp? HOme and pro?

Also can you download SP1 fully without installing?

works with both home and pro

yes you can download the full service pack 1a or 1 what ever they call it now
    you need to select network install instead of express install

you may also have to install java vm that is if they were using the original xp sp1 before they took java out

Quote Originally Posted by Shard92
    How do you "flush DNS" ?

And is that on any windows xp? HOme and pro?

Also can you download SP1 fully without installing?
    go to a DOS prompt on the XP machine and type "ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotes

as biggs says on home and pro

the sp1a network download clocks in a 125 MB which you can get if you go to the windows update site and under other options at the left select 'personalize windows update' then select "Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog under See Also" from that link it creates you can go to "Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems" and there near the bottom of the list is Windows XP RTM under advanced options you can thin out the list to just critical updates and service packs. Highlite "Windows XP RTM " and click search you should find "Windows XP Service Pack 1 (Network Install) - (Posted Date: September 17, 2003)" and any other updates your heart desires.

see isn't that easy? no wonder Micro$oft products are so secure.

or you can buy Maximum PC's "Build the Perfect Rig 2003" at your local magazine shop which has Windows XP Service Pack 1 (Network Install) on the included CD as well as many other fine goodies.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGS
    works with both home and pro

yes you can download the full service pack 1a or 1 what ever they call it now
    you need to select network install instead of express install

you may also have to install java vm that is if they were using the original xp sp1 before they took java out
    WEll in this particular case it's a new laptop... My nephew got it brand new from Best Buy for his graduation, which was last june or some such. I still need to know what : "flushing the DNS " is....

Thanks

edit....

Thanks craig didn't see your post before I posted this...
    Last edited by Shard92; October 7th, 2003 at 07:25 PM.

of course you can google out the easy way to getting WinXP-SP1a.

but that's cheating

Quote Originally Posted by craigmodius
    of course you can google out the easy way to getting WinXP-SP1a.

but that's cheating

WEll this is probably the way to go as the computer I'm working on will not go online. It's hard to do a windows update when you can't get to the site.

By the way are the boards really slow tonight or is it just me? I'm having all kinds of trouble. I am on dial up but I've never had this much trouble before.....

the board seems ok to me, but I'm on DSL.

and if you're on dial-up you might want to consider the Maximum PC magazine option, or try the express installation download.

but still 30MB, yikes!! hope you use a download manager.

Quote Originally Posted by craigmodius
    the board seems ok to me, but I'm on DSL.

and if you're on dial-up you might want to consider the Maximum PC magazine option, or try the express installation download.

but still 30MB, yikes!! hope you use a download manager.

Thanks for all the help Craig, I got the laptop to go online after rebuilding the tcp/ip and flushing the dns so I called my nephew and told him he needed to download the sp1. He can use his dad's cable modem or he can do it at school where he can hook up to their wireless internet...