Any hope? Need Win2000 drivers for USB tape backup

Thread: Any hope? Need Win2000 drivers for USB tape backup

Unhappy Any hope? Need Win2000 drivers for USB tape backup

I work for a small non-profit health organization that subsist mostly with donations. We were donate a new Seagate TapeStor USB 2.0 tape backup drive.
    Problem: The external tape drive comes with a backup software, Retrospect Express, but it only allows to backup local C drive. I upgraded it with a 30 days trial sample from the same software company and it seems to work but it is very complex to operate, besides requiring multiple tapes to work and it is pricey! I tried to use Windows 2000 backup application and with it I can see all the drives, including the one that I mostly need to backup, which is a shared drive in network, but when I try to direct the application to backup the selected files to a device, it does not detect the tape drive.

Question: Is there any hope for us to use this drive with Windows 2000, or any other low cost effective software? Can anyone give me some guidence please?

Thank you!

Sure...you might try checking out SeaGate's website for tape utilites & drivers. Their Tape Drive support has been taken over by "Certance." You will need you actual model number to find drivers, firmware updates, etc.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by DonJ; October 3rd, 2003 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ
    Sure...you might try checking out SeaGate's website for tape utilites & drivers. Their Tape Drive support has been taken over by "Certance." You will need you actual model number to find drivers, firmware updates, etc.

Good Luck!
    Errr umm Don .... "Windows 2000 backup application" only supports IDE or SCSI connections (also ATAPI connected to them) but as far as I know no support for usb .... which is why sanlucas is 'griping' about the s/w that came with his tape drive.

Perhaps someone who has a usb tape device might either prove me right or wrong ...

But anyway Welcome to Windrivers sanlucas
    (even if I wasn't much help )

This might have something for you:

http://www.backupcentral.com/free-backup-software6.html
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Dear friends:

Thank you so much for your prompt and kind response to my plead. I greatly appreciate the fact that you guys are out there looking to help and serve others in a wonderful spirit of brotherhood.

I also really appreciate the warm welcome to Windrivers by Confus-ed, it is a great feeling that although none of us have probably ever met in person, but that we can co-exist in peace and friendship in a world that is in turmoil. Thank you once again for being "Good Samaritans".

I enjoy your other advises that I have read on other topics and you guys are very savvy of all these computer stuff!

Thank you once again for your help and keep up the Great Work!

Sanlucas