HP LJ 4050TN Error 41.3

Thread: HP LJ 4050TN Error 41.3

Angry HP LJ 4050TN Error 41.3

Hi,

I have a 4050TN which intermittently and spontaneously decides that the paper in tray 2 should be Executive or A4 when it is and has always been letter. The result of this is that print jobs which require one sheet from tray 2 and a number of copies from tray 3 end up printing everything from tray 3. In this situation, a paper path test from tray 2 will end in a 41.3 error, this followed by instructions to insert Executive or A4 or whatever.

The biggie here is that it is completely unpredictable and when it does happen it may spontaneously correct itself before any troubleshooting can be done.

It is not the paper tray. I have enough 4050TNs available to spend my life swaping paper trays if there were a need to do so. And the tray sensors in the printer all seem to be mechanically OK.

The printer will do its weird little thing without any mechanical distrubance whatsoever. And it will just as mysteriously correct itself.

I am not a printer tech. I have had a printer tech in. And of course, the machine performs perfectly in the presence of the printer tech. The tech is starting to wonder if I am off my meds....

Does anyone have any suggestions here?

What app is giving you strife? I went through almost the exact same thing this week with an HP ColorJet CAD machine and it was the settings in AutoCad that were the culprit.
    Have you deleted the printer and reinstalled? If your not comfortable with it than talk to your printer tech. A virus scan wouldn't hurt either.
    hmmmmm......Are you off your meds??

I was able to come across 41.3 Unexpected Paper Size Error. It just gives a couple of basic things that you have probably already done...especially if you have already swapped out the paper trays.

Also, "NOTE: Ensure the paper guides are exactly aligned with the marks for the appropriate paper size.

Reload the paper.
    NOTE: Do not fan the paper at any time or overload the paper cassette.

Print a configuration page to ensure the printer acknowledges the proper paper size in the appropriate tray."

Of course, you've probably also seen Numerical Control Panel Errors, Actions to Take. Again, some basic steps to attempt.

You might also try blowing some mildly compressed air up around those tray sensors, etc. There just might be some paper debris, dust, etc. hosing those things up. Also, try reseating the connectors feeding those sensors.

Just a couple of suggestions...let us know how it all ends up. Good Luck!

Mr. Shamus G-Chord,

I am not off my meds, but then that doesn't mean that I don't need any..... :^P There are days when I could definitely use some.

It is not an application problem. The proprietary application is used to print to several other printers throughout the building as well as some IPP remote printers. All printers are configured the same -- basically just set to defaults.

This is a mechanical/electrical/electronic problem with the printer.

(You could try the G chord with your second finger on the G root, first finger on the B, D open, G open, third finger on D, and fourth finger on G -- It gives an interesting texture, a suggestion of a 12 string sound or an open tuning, the open tuning sound in particular if you carry the D note on the B string as a drone through other chords. For example, try this with Lennon's Bob-Dylanish "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away.")

DonJ,

I have been through all the basic stuff. I did not find the HP references (thanks), but I have pretty much covered everything contained within them.

I will try the other suggestions later today when I have time.

Thanks.
    Last edited by houseisland; October 6th, 2003 at 10:22 AM.

Well it is too soon to tell, but the error has not reappeared today.

I took the side panel off the printer and removed the housing for the NIC and the RAM. Then the connectors for the sensors for tray two were exposed. I was able to blow some compressed air in around the contact switches. I also used some contact cleaner on the switches and the connectors. I worked the switches innumerable times, and reseated the connectors. So far so good.

Well, the printer worked flawlessly for a week or so, and then.....

Pulling the tray and reaching in from behind to work the sensor switches multiple time makes the problem go away, but it seems that it will eventually return.

It is probably a sensor switch or a circuit board problem.

I called in a more experienced (and expensive) printer tech, one who had seen similar problems many times before and who could list off a litany of potential causes from the most likely to the least likely. I am somewhat more confident with this guy. The printer is now in the printer hospital he works for.