Exchange 2000 "Mirror"

Thread: Exchange 2000 "Mirror"

Exchange 2000 "Mirror"

There's 1 exchange 2000 server at a company. They want to have a second "mirrored" server off site at a second office. The connection is there, but is there a way to setup the two exchange servers to talk to eachother to keep eachother updated, and take over in the event of a failure. Is that what they refer to as "clustering" and does Exchange 2000 do this on its own?
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

this is not my area of expertise, but i can google with the best of them.

that was one of the results from this

good luck and keep us posted.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

It looks like I need a previously installed and configured Windows 2000 cluster setup and exchange just rides along. That's not going to work well for what I need because there is no existing cluster and it looks like a reinstall is needed to get that going.
    I was hoping for something a bit more simplistic.
    Not looking hopeful.

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Searching around I found this Sounds like you need replication? I have never used exchange server so I really can't help you anymore. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

There's a lot to exchange... Having been through a number of repairs and failed repairs (becuase you can't restore x service pack versions information store on x service pack version of exchange in x version of active directory) I'd say consult an expert. Seriously.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

replication/dister prep

There is a product called 'Double Take' that mirrors a server running software like ecxhange/sbs sql etc.

It doesn't have to be the same spec but obviously the base software has to be the same. It replicate in real time and in the event of a failure of the 'main' server assumes it's identity and takes over. Allowing the user to get the main box repaired. It will then replicate back. It's not a cheap option but cheaper that another server clustered to external storage.

Veritas Volume Replicator!

You might want to look into Veritas Volume Replicator to do this job.

http://www.veritas.com/products/list...or#whitepapers

Paul Sullivan

Unfortunatly, I am expected to be the Exchange expert around here. Not much other than the internet for resources - and you guys... bless your hearts...

The double-take software looks great, but the price almost made me pass out.

I'm also looking at XoSoft software as an option. XoSoft

Thanks for the help and keep the ideas coming! We use standard mirroring software for the rest of our servers, but Exchange does not take well to standard mirroring, as you can imagine.

Exchange should replicate with AD as long as you have sites setup, you don't need any third party software, the biggest problem you will have the low speed wan link, buy an exchange book and read up about best practices
    A+ Net+ MCP CCNA